1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Daily Cover: Pete Axthelm

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 29, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the winter I am. Do not crave it at all once the weather warms.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My old man, who was a degenerate gambler, especially on the ponies, loved the line Ax used on NBC's racing coverage one day when someone else mentioned the finish was so close the losing horse "would have won in another jump". Ax said, "they don't make races a mile and a jump".

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good story to read. I have vague recollections of watching Axhelm on tv 35 years ago. If you can't stop drinking for your daughter, then the booze has an insidious hold.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee, to the surprise of everyone.

5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Nowadays, I'm usually up around 6 a.m. and am two cups deep by 7:30, and then have at least three more before lunch. When I was still working in journalism, I drank the same amount of coffee, but generally between noon and 4 p.m.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Years ago, I went off real coffee, went to decaf, then stopped completely. I did drink a lot of Diet Coke. But one of the guys on the night desk crew set up a coffee station and started a club. Around 8 or 9 p.m., the coffee pot got fired up. He used Hawaiian Roast Vanilla Bean. The aroma around the room was incredible. I had to join.
    Now, in the morning, I get a double or triple serving of real coffee in a large thermal cup. That is all for the day, except occasionally if we are out for a nice dinner and I have a cup after eating and consuming a couple of Manhattans.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

OK, I gots to know. What's your ideal Manhattan?

8. ChrisLong

I make simple ones at home. Usually get better bourbon in restaurants.

Some ice in a glass.
    3 oz. bourbon, Jack Daniel's is fine.
    1-1/2 oz. Sweet Vermouth.
    Drip a little cherry juice.
    A couple of Maraschino cherries. My brother insists on Luxardo, but they are expensive.
    Stir it around.
    If I have guests, I will probably use a shaker. Not necessary for me.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

MY MAN

3:1.5 master race

3 oz Woodford Double Oaked
    1.5 oz Camparo Antica Formula Vermouth
    Dash Angostura bitters
    Orange Peel
    Cherry (your brother is a good man)

Fuck yes

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

Brother insists on Buffalo Trace. BevMo was out of it when I went to buy it for his birthday, so I had to "settle" for Woodford. The place we go in Vegas pours Four Roses at the restaurant. I can go with Angostura or not. I order them "up" with maybe a glass of ice, depending on how I feel. At the gaming tables, I just have them with Jack, brother prefers Makers. On the rocks. Once we had a hot, friendly waitress and we had 9 at the table in about an hour and a half before going to dinner .
    Last time I made them at home, my Manhattan glass was in the dishwasher, so I grabbed a pint beer glass and doubled the recipe.

11. ChrisLong

Funny story. We stay at the Orleans Hotel in Vegas. It is kinda old, but clean, friendly and open. My brother is vision-impaired, but we have been there enough so he can find his way around.
    Last year, there was a square dancers convention, lots of people around wearing Western clothes. They had drink vouchers. One guy comes to the bar, shows the bartender his voucher, and says, "I want a shot of Jack that comes out of a bottle."
    They didn't have it. Jack is so popular they have it in the gun and it comes in bulk in a big vinyl bladder. The bartender looked everywhere in his bar, but didn't have it. He said, "I've got any other Jack Daniel's product you want in a bottle, but not regular Jack.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Woody Long likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

Buffalo Trace is, pound-for-pound, the best value in bourbon.

I don't necessarily notice when the bitters aren't in there, but I'll be damned if I serve one to a friend without them.

Nine in 90 minutes? I AM IRONMAN. Goddamn, brother. That's an heroic effort.

Somewhat similar, I was at a bar outside of Boston several years ago with my uncle. Hot, friendly bartender. I had three in about 75-80 minutes, go to stand up to make a deposit and realize I am r o c k e d. Turns out my uncle knew her and she was making them with Booker's. I tipped well and got an Uber.

I ask for mine to be in a lowball glass. I have somewhat large hands and feel ridiculous holding anything with a stem.

I have a 3L barrel that has an aged Manhattan batch. Makes a noticable difference. I have another one with Negroni as well. Quarantine has not been kind to the barrels.

Woody Long and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted