1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com's "Things We Miss in Baseball."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I miss sandlot pick-up games, choosing sides by going hand-over-hand and on a bat to determine who gets to pick first. And "donkey kicks." And playing with a single cracked bat that had been nailed and taped back into use. I miss racing to get errant throws and foul balls before they rolled into the brook. I don't miss trying to hit a soggy ball.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ushers are far more vigilant about that since these guys:

[​IMG]

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

LOVE the old "Baseball's a Funny Game" magazines. My first NBA literature was the 1979-80 "Basketball's a Funny Game". A great publication -- humor AND information.

From days at Royals Stadium...long ago.
    - The White bullpen car to dump Renee Martin or Dan Quisenberry (RIP) at the edge of the mound. Shoot, back then, Quiz was usually good for 2 or 3 innings.
    - The funky organ music played between EVERY inning.
    - Overly deep baritone voice of the PA guy during those times. "And, now, leading off for Cleveland...Miguel Dilone."
    - Being in absolute fear of Thurman Munson's sideburns whenever the Yankees came to town. Once made eye contact with Billy Martin as he was walking back to the dugout. I was 4. He squinted a bit and seemed to let out a sneer. I was scared and I think I peed in my shorts.

At least MY nostalgia is cheap. I found a 1979 "Grand Slam" program for the Royals - from a series I attended that year, no less - on eBay for $1.25. Even picked up about 40 of those Hostess baseball cards (the ones in the 3-card panel on the bottom of the box) for less than $10. Still amazed people had THOSE cards 30 years later -- I could understand the Topps sets but THOSE?!?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Passing your money down the aisle to get a beverage and actually getting your change and the beverage back untouched.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never not got my change or beverage untouched.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

How does something get passed down an aisle untouched? (and yeah, I know what you actually meant.)

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

17 degrees seems awfully cold for baseball. :)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not at the Ex!

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted