1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com: Troy Glaus -- Roids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/09/07/drug.probe/index.html

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Posted it to the Ankiel thread a little while ago. Been on the phone talking about it for the last half hour. This totally disproves the "healing power" of steroids, don't you think?

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

JDV?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good line, but the serious answer would be "not really." If you meant it just as a joke, I apologize for the serious response in advance.

Steroids do aid the body in recovery and are often used in the treatment of certain medical conditions, such as asthma, as well as in aiding the recovery from some injuries.

However, steroids also can cause muscle to build out of proportion to the ligaments connected to it, which can lead to injury.

Basically, steroids can help the body in some areas while also increasing the risk of breakdowns in other areas.

5. The Big Ragu

No. I don't have JDV on speed dial. But the person I was talking to did manage to milk 30 minutes of Troy Glaus jokes out of the news.

6. The Big Ragu

I was joking! Apparently he actually was taking them when he was breaking down every other hour... back when he was with the Angels and had his middle name legally changed to "Disabled List." He might have used the roids to try to help himself recover from the shoulder problems and surgery had right around that time.

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Just figured you were inspired, is all.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is why I apologized in advance. I went ahead with the serious response anyway just because I think there are some misconceptions out there about what steroids do.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had an NFL trainer once tell me that a muscle ripping from a bone is not a natural occurrence when there is no contact involved. If this happens when someone is lifting weights, it should send a huge red flag.

I'm not saying this happened to .255/33/97, but it will have happened to some of the 20 or so name athletes we see busted in the next year. That just a wild estimation by the way.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

You mean like Mike Piazza, 2005, torn groin muscle leaning away from an inside pitch.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Do we know for a fact Glaus didn't have asthma?

If I was commisioner, any baseball player who bench presses more than 200 pounds would be banned for life.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sure, in too short a time his body became faster and stronger than his skeletal structure allowed for, and he hurt himself.

Muscles growing faster than the rest of the body is what he was alluding.

Draft saved Draft deleted