1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com declares that Weis is done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Nov 23, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Little did we know, Charlie Weis was the Sarah Palin of college football.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sarah Palin still has defenders.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I don't think the money ND owes Chaz will be an issue. The wealth that exists within the alumni is great enough to buy out his contract. The economy will not stop ND from spending. They should go after a guy like Ron Zook. A high energy coach that can recruit and has proven he can turn a program around. I now Illinois is down this year, but Zook did take them to a Rose Bowl last season. The Illini were shelacked, but he did get them back to Pasadena. ND hasn't hired passionate coaches, that love college football since Lou. They need to get back to that.

4. You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with PTOWN, not so much about Zook specifically, just look more at how a coach has built up a program, especially a traditionally stagnant one, like a Schiano

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I don't know if Weis is done. I still think getting rid of him does more harm than good.
    But if he is, they need to bring in someone younger, who can really coach college kids. They've got all the talent they need these days, but what they've lacked under both Weis and Willingham is fire, intensity, the ability to play above their skill level when they need to. They like to say everyone gets up to play Notre Dame, and a lot of times it's true, because they've got such a big target on their back. But Notre Dame so often comes out flat, or lets up when they get a lead at halftime. So they lose stupid games to Syracuse, and get blown out by every elite team they play. And they never win games they're not supposed to. To me that's a problem of coaching, and something they need to change.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Oh, Zook makes perfect sense---he takes Illini to Rose Bowl and they get shellacked, just like Charlie and ND did three years ago vs. Ohio State in Fiesta Bowl and two years ago vs. LSU in Sugar. Is that what you mean? You might just as well keep Weis with that logic.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Zook's already failed once on the big stage. He's not getting another opportunity.

Lane Kiffin might have been an interesting choice, were he not on the fast track at Tennessee, or so I've heard elsewhere.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Actually clutch I wouldn't mind ND going to a BCS bowl and getting hammered. It's better than going 3-9 and 6-6. What I'm saying is Zook made the Illini relevant again. I understand he did that in a poor conference, but the only leagues of merit are the Big 12 and SEC, and those elite coaches are not coming to South Bend. So yes I want ND to go out and get a fiery guy, who can recruit and get 10 wins. And with the schedule being what it is now, it's plausible for a Zook, a Schiano or some other mid-level coach to do this. ND has this perception that it needs to go out and get an elite coach to take them back to a National title. The philosophy should be go out and get a steady guy, who can get 8-10 wins each year. Then maybe the chance at championships comes back into the picture.

10. Notre Dame is not hiring Ron Zook, nor should it. End of story.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that's kind of a given. :D

12. The guy is a total buffoon. He reminds me, seriously, of Gerry Faust.

Draft saved Draft deleted