1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com declares that Weis is done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Same thing happened at USC, though. Then they hired Pete Carroll as like their seventh choice.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who were choices 1-6?

3. I know that Dennis Erickson and Mike Bellotti were two guys that turned them down. Seems like there was at least one more. Maybe Neuheisel?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mike Riley turned down USC - he was busy with the Chargers at the time.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, don't forget the Bama mess before Saban jumped on board.

Notre Dame would be that times five probably.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would be cool to see ND hire Saban, just to see them top themselves in the insidious douchebag department.

And then Ari Gold would replace Saban.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ari Gold?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not to thread-jack, but, Dan Wetzel doesn't give Weis much hope at returning.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-weis112408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Entourage guy.

That's right. Saban is so off-the-charts douche that I can't think of a REAL person who can top him.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And TBF thought I had a problem with Saban...

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thing about college coaching, once people think you're done, it affects recruiting and you might as well be done.
    Weis is going to have to do something to regain some goodwill like cutting all but three years off his contract, or cutting his own salary.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Waylon, you bring up a good point on USC pre-Carroll. Hackett and Robinson and the end of the Larry Smith era were really shaky times. I think Hackett, a la Weis, nuked every bridge around campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted