1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI collection question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writestuff1, Feb 10, 2009.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I have a Sports Illustrated collection dating back to 1974. I have a single copy of each issue through the present. Several years ago, I spoke to a collector about selling my entire collection. All of the issues were basically read once and stored. They were not stored in mylar bags, just put away in boxes, but they are in great shape. I was disappointed at what he was offering. His contention was that he wouldn't be able to sell most of of the issues and would be stuck with them. My point was that there are enough issues with the likes of Pete Rose and Michael Jordan on the cover where just selling those would allow him to make money based on some back-issue prices I had seen. I don't want to break up the set. If I have to sell it, I would rather do it all at once rather than piecemeal. I was just seeking some sage advice from anyone who may have sold a similar collection. If you did, how did you sell it? Knowing what you know now, would you use the same method? Thanks for the input.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Who cares if you break up the set? You just said that he's going to anyway. Sell the collection piece-meal and get the most out of it.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I have a similar collection, sir. It's been sitting there for eight months now. I sold a couple on EBay, but that's about it. I'll try re-listing them if the economy takes a turn for the better...but other than that, I'll just let 'em sit in that box for now.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I can help a bit. I used to work for a sports memorabilia company. From a person buying the collection's standpoint, there are some that are worth more than others and they are the lesser known guys. Guys that are the autograph circut that have multiple SIs.

Guys like MJ and Tiger won't sign SIs (For Tiger, it has to have the mailing label on it). So while they look nice, in reality the people buying SIs don't want those.

If you live in a big enough town, a autograph show is the best place to sell them. But dealers deal in bulk. They won't look through each box, they will see nearly 2,000 SIs and offer you money based on bulk. They will say something like how about .50 cents for each one? Because what he is going to do is put a $1 sign on the box and guys will pick through them taking the best ones.

Also, the best day to do this is on the first day of the show, not the last when they are packing up.

As for selling on eBay, there are several ways. Bulk them up via teams, or sports if there aren't enough (ie Tennis) or by athlete.

To find a local show or even ask this question on the message board, try www.signingshotline.com

I hope that made some sense. Also, talk to this guy, Dan Casey, he may know someone.

www.sicollection.com

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had about 20 years of pristine SI's from the mid 60s to the mid 80s, complete sets. In early 2000s I tried to sell them. I knew nothing about the memorabilia game except what a pain in the ass most of those guys were when I was traveling with an MLB team.
    I went to a big memorabilia show and the guys with the biggest displays basically told me there was little or no market for them. I finally ran into a guy with a small display of stuff. I got, I think, $300 for the lot, and I threw in a bunch of LA Mag, Playboy and Golf Digest.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I had a high school teacher who put old SI covers together as the wallpaper for one side of his classroom. What an amazing distraction from junior year sociology...

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mr. Kinsella and Mr. Dude have given you excellent advice. There's a very limited market for any national, widely-circulated magazine from 1974 and beyond.

I would quibble with one point -- if the dealer is going to blow them out for $1 each, it's doubtful he'll give you 50 cents an issue. More like 25 cents -- or probably even less. He's not going to take on the clutter if he's only making 50 cents per magazine.

They're a real marginal item for dealers.

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Agreed Smasher. I was using .50 cents as an example.

I would also have a number in your head that you want for the entire thing.

Oh, and if you do what Mr. Dude did, just go get as much as you can and think of it as money you didn't have before.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I just didn't want the guy to think he was getting hosed when he was offered less than 50 cents. They're just not worth that much. SI prints a lot of copies, and a lot of people save them, at least for a while.

If he goes into this thinking he has a treasure, he's going to be disappointed. If he goes into this thinking, hey I can get $150 for that pile of magazines that's in the way, he'll be happy.

10. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Agreed again.

And if you want $150, I'll give you that! But man, shipping is going to be a bitch!!

Draft saved Draft deleted