1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vonnegutnaked2, Feb 7, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's not new, either. Wasn't it that sanctimonious outrage that got Congress involved and forced baseball to actually do something, rather than hide its head in the sand as the leagues and the union had done for a decade or two?

MLB done everything in its power since 2002 to stop steroids? Only because it was forced at gunpoint (figuratively speaking, of course) by the government, the media and the public. And even then it had to go through that "survey test" in 2003 to prove to itself there was really a problem. At times, it seems there are still many in power in baseball and the union in severe denial about how prevalent steroid use is.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't agree at all. Got examples? I think baseball has for several years now had the most stringent testing program in professional sports and fully acknowledges that, like in every sport, the science out-paces efforts to catch transgressors. I don't think anyone is naive about PED usage.

3. I thought the same thing. 18-21 or 22 is "young and stupid." By 28 he should have know better.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, I'm not going to go through 34 pages to see if this is a d_b, but this is one funny and on-topic story from the Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/turns_out_craig_counsell?utm_source=a-section

5. http://www.baseballmusings.com/archives/ARodCup.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted