1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vonnegutnaked2, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that a lot of players decided they had nothing to lose -- a free pass to a career year, perhaps -- because they assumed it would be anonymous testing and there would be no penalty.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

Costas already earning his new deal, interviewing Selena Roberts about the story.
    This is great stuff, MLBN deserves major kudos for not brushing this aside and going all out.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Holy Christ. Costas now interviewing Selena Roberts live on MLB Network.

That's not something that could have been pulled together all that easily on short notice. Kudos to the network for hustle.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

When there's outrage that MLB players are being diagnosed with ADHD in order to get Ritalin at a rate that's nearly 3X higher than the general populace, then there will be reason to believe that the steroid witch hunt is more than just a farce for blowhards to get red in the face over:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2009-01-11-stimulants-exemptions_N.htm?csp=34

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There wasn't a rule. That's the point. The tests in question were part of the procedure to establish the rule.
    Taking these drugs was against the law, but not baseball law. And pardon me, but a confidentiality agreement that's part of a binding contract WAY supersedes any public need to know, as a matter of real law.
    A-Rod, the union, and MLB all have grounds to sue the leakers for humongous damages. That's why I say Selena and the other reporter are on the hot seat.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I didn't see Jeter hitting 40-50 HRs a year.
    I started reading Torre's book and when you read the parts about Jeter, I find it hard to believe Jeter did roids.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not everyone on roids hits 40-50 HRs, patchs.
    And I am now of the opinion that nobody is above suspicion any more.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I didn't see Nefi Perez hitting 40 to 50 either.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please go through the list of players suspended for steroid use and let me know how many hit 40+ HRs in a season. I believe the answer is one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_suspended_for_performance-enhancing_drugs

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think this is a case of the Feds being "vindictive." My cousin is a Federal Agent and he told me that if the Feds brings someone to trial, it is better than even money that the government has a mountain of evidence against that person.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

You don't know who was for roids and who was for amphetamines.

12. In Exile

In Exile Member

Don't forget, but Selena Roberts has a book coming out in May on A-Rod: Hit and Run. Pretty convenient. Makes you wonder if she has other names. Also makes you wonder if that's the only reason we're hearing about only A-Rod.

Just asking.

Draft saved Draft deleted