1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vonnegutnaked2, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What other programming does MLB have in the middle of February?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nor I. Tried to dig into this and lost interest very quickly.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's possible, but it would be puzzling. Did the sources tell SI, "No, we can only give you A-Rod this week -- we're giving the next six to USA Today next week, and then 12 to The New York Times?" Or did SI get all of them and fail to use the First In A Series Of 104 Reports logo?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who knows? I was just pointing out that they are the three possible places it came from.

Why would MLBPA have allowed such an incredible amount of incriminating paperwork to just sit there in the first place ready to get out to the public?

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Holy shit.

There should be asterisks all over the record books now. Bonds, A-Rod, McGwire, Sosa ...

Aaron should get his record back, Ruth should be second and Mays third. The rest, fuck em.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

ARod broke some of Aaron's records?

7. Just want to chime in that if it wasn't for Verducci, who knows if baseball would have ever addressed the steroids issue? He started the ball rolling, and deserves some credit for that.

8. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Sort of inevitable, no?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Bonds' attorneys are going to be all over this. Selena might wind up in a Judith Miller spot.
    2. In my day job, I read a lot, a whole lot, of sports science and sports medicine journals. And steroids are like bathtub gin going up against Chateau Petrus compared to what science is capable of now in terms of altering athletic performance. There is no doubt in my mind that there were genetically engineered athletes at Beijing.
    So what comes next? A mandatory DNA sample given to the government at birth to preserve the sanctity of baseball records?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

At last, there's a reason ARod's balls shrink in October.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know ESPN will make this a big deal, but it really shouldn't be imo. I understand A-Rod was probably going to break Aaron's record, but steriods were obviously rampant among the eilte players during that time so there's no reason to be suprised. But this will still suprise many. All you can do is hope a strong policy will filter out all the cheats so we can move on into the next era.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Boggles my mind that anybody can be shocked by this. Look at the era Rodriguez played in.

Draft saved Draft deleted