1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vonnegutnaked2, Feb 7, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

was A-Rod dating Madonna in 2003?
    maybe he needed extra enhancement. ;D

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's what I want to know.

Thought that Mitchell Report was the be-all, end-all. What good is it if it didn't finger A-Roid?

Looks like Canseco's books remain the best source on the topic.

3. So ... this is gonna dominate news coverage for a while, eh?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It'll dominate opinion coverage. I doubt there will be much news to follow.

5. Thereby making Michael Phelps the happiest man in America.

6. I wouldn't be so quick to say that. There's going to have to be fallout.

Of course, it eventually will be overblown once ESPN sends Pedro Gomez to cover the Yankees 24/7.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I have to say that I'm shocked that MLB Network has pre-empted its regular programming to air coverage of this story.

Right now they're talking to Larry Bowa and they had Jon Hart on earlier.

I wonder if the NFL Network would do the same if this was a football story.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doc, I hate to say it, but I don't know if steroids can be overblown. This should reach across sport lines. You have to expect it in football, possibly basketball and a few other sports.

Sure they can devote too much time to the coverage on ESPN, but in five years, I would not be surprised to see mandatory blood testing in all sports.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, there's still 103 more names on that sealed list where this came from. Whoever leaked this also knows the others. Wouldn't be surprised if there's more leaks from that list to come. The question is at what point do these revelations stop being news--we've got the idea now, baseball was consumed by steroids for a decade or so, when do we move on?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The whole criticism of Mitchell's investigation was that it wasn't an end all, be all. He didn't have any subpoena power. All Mitchell had was what the Feds had. Mitchell wanted the results from the 2003 testing and he couldn't have them because anonymity was promised. Some SI reporters managed to get their hands on it, though. The most interesting thing to me is who the leak is. It has to be either MLB, the union or the Feds or a combination of the three. You have to bet on the Feds, obviously.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why would someone from the union leak this?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not care about this story. I don't care about Barry Bonds. It would be pretty special if Bonds walks on perjury charges of which he is almost surely guilty because of prosecutorial misconduct, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted