1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: A-Rod to become a free agent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Oct 28, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I go back to my earlier comment, you can't blame the agent. The responsibility lies with Rodriguez.
    The proper statement of apology, if sincere, needs to come from Rodriguez. He should say that:

"My agent, Scott Boras, was wrong in his time, place and manner of releasing the information concerning my contractual situation. I have told Scott, in no uncertain terms, that I am disappointed in his actions. Since he represents me and my interests, I apologize. I am sorry that this occurred and I will be circumspect with respect to my agent and any public communication. Again, I am sorry and I congratulate Boston on their World Series Championship and Colorado for their amazing season."

The only folks that can hold Rodriguez accountable are journalists, but I doubt more than a couple of inconsequential ones will ever do it.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Accountable for what? Bad manners?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Like you? Wait, are you even a journalist?

4. heyabbott

Will Rodriguez go to the Dodgers with Torre there?
    Will Rodriguez go tot he highest bidder, even if its in the Korean Baseball Association?

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I admit, it isn't looking good for my Yankees. Then again, with all our underachieving past-their-prime studs bailing, we'll have a big fat wallet that makes the old wallet look like Tom Hicks' checkbook.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Damien Cos weighs in on the A-Rod announcement. Essentially, get over it, folks.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2007/10/alex-just-being.html

Should A-Rod have waited a day or two? Sure, I suppose, if he wanted to be a nice guy about it. But in not doing so, he again showed his Darth Vader side, again showed he's one of the more complicated characters in sport, and certainly made the choice of his next team a major talking point.

It gave baseball at little more attention. And it sure didn't take any attention from a World Series that was, quite frankly, forgettable all on its own.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like Damien Cox, JR ... almost goes without saying.

But the stunt pulled by Scott Boras is pretty damning. Put on top of that how obsessed Alex Rodriguez is with his image and you have a nasty little mess.

'Yab, I absolutely agree, but Boras knows the public opinion isn't high on him - it's basically piling slime and some PR bullets on top of more slime. I don't think A-Rod prompted the announcement, but even if he did, fat chance Boras will let him take responsibility publicly.

With Boras accepting responsibility, it still keeps A-Rod in a positive light. If word got out that A-Rod triggered the announcement on the night of Game 4, it might (!) hurt his marketability, at least off the field. The same lemmings that will claim to have interest in what he can do between the lines will line up regardless.

8. heyabbott

Without the Yankees bidding, and assuming he's the best player in the game, why would any team pay more than slightly over the most paid player already in baseball? He's certainly not willing to sit out a season, he'll never get that 25-30 million back.

Since he's not a proven winner, and a poor post season producer he might not have the leverage he believes.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How many day games do the Cubs still play? I'm wondering if A-Rod would be willing to actually make a sacrifice and get up early for all those day games. Bobby Mercer once said playing for the Cubs was like having a 9-to-5 office job because of the hours.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That's a hell of a question. This promises to be the most incredible free-agency ... EVAR. Either Boras is going to do what nobody thinks possible (top $252M) or he's going to get positively undressed when A-Rod ends up with nothing remotely close to what the Yankees were offering. Either way, great theater.

Draft saved Draft deleted