1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI 5/16 product-placement cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 14, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Reebok had to pony up beaucoup bucks for this cover. Clearly that's the only explanation for this cover. It looks like someone ran in front of the camera right when the photographer was taking the shot.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think it's a good effort with the photo, but it's a marvelous fail. TSP, I hope you were joking.
    When I was younger, I used to count the Nike swooshes in every issue to see how much extra advertising they were getting; the numbers were mind blowing.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's also an ugly shoe.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering it's a new shoe that Reebok is hyping the hell out of, there's no way that's a coincidence... I'm guessing Reebok never paid for the cover directly, but I'm guessing there will be a shitload of Reebok ads in SI in the future.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought is was a picture of a prosthetic.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Anybody here get SI Kids? All of their covers lately have been product-placement covers, with a real cover underneath. It' really hard to tell that it's really an ad — and certainly kids would have trouble telling the difference.

The April edition has Dwyane Wade on the cover with a goldfish — as in Goldfish crackers. But the SI Kids logo looks normal. In small print above the logo it says PROMOTIONAL COVER WRAP. Turn the page, and you get the real cover, which is Carl Crawford and the Baseball Preview issue.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sporting News had something like that with driver Steven Wallace and 5-hour Energy a few months ago.

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/sporting-news-sells-fake-cover-to-5-hour-energy_b6039

Draft saved Draft deleted