1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shyamalan a ding-dong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 23, 2006.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There was talk about him directing the next Harry Potter movie...I don't think that's a bad idea. He's good with actors, he can handle the advanced special effects and it would be good for his career to direct a movie that grosses $500 million plus worldwide. Plus, doing that kind of work for a big, easy paycheck may free up his creativity to do something awesome next time out.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of his movies. Are they worth it?

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yes, "Sixth Sense" is excellent, one of the best 20 or so movies of the past 10 years."Signs" is quite good...imagine "War of the Worlds" or "Independence Day" but done as to how this would affect a typical middle class family. "Unbreakable" and "The Village" have their flaws, but they're very well acted and made....put it this way, you've seen a lot worse. As far as mainstream, popcorn thrillers go, Shamalayn is the master.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't see WOTW or Indy Day, either.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm a Shyamalan defender (I've liked or loved all of his movies), but what makes you think "he can handled the advanced special effects?" He very well might be able to, but none of his films would indicate that (unless LITW has them). Hell, Signs had the biggest special effects of his flicks and they weren't exactly on par with Jurassic Park.

6. Surprised by the love for Signs on here. Personally, I think that was his worst movie by far and one of the worst I have ever seen. There was no real "twist," you knew what the enemy was all along and some of it was downright cheesy. The swing away stuff had me groaning out loud in the theatre. It was an interesting idea involving the religious aspects, but overall, I thought poor execution.

I like that he tries to be creative with his movies and do something different, but outside of The Sixth Sense, I don't think he's done much of real note. The Village and Unbreakable were very average in my mind.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked 'Signs' and 'Unbreakable' is my favorite Shyamalan movie.
    'The Village' was his weakest movie, but I still thought it was more interesting than the average movie.
    Some people criticize him for making twist-ending movies, and 'Sixth Sense,' 'Unbreakable' and 'The Village' all have twist-endings. I don't really think of 'Signs' as a twist-ending movie.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The criticism the guy gets always surprises me. 99 percent of the population is bitching and moaning about Hollywood never having original ideas. And the one guy who consistently attacks things from a different angle gets thrown under the bus for doing just that.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Some people just don't prefer a movie that sucks you into the plot and characters. They're always watching at or around the characters, not experiencing the movie with them.

However, the people that do get sucked in with the characters tend to have a better appreciation for the plot twists and the twist ending, in my experience.

If you're generally the kind of person who says, "Damn, never saw that coming" with a smirk and a head shake instead of, "What a damn gimmick, I had a feeling all along," and getting upset that you've been "tricked," you'll like his films.

I think all of his films have been very well done regardless of your preference and enjoyed all of them.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Sixth Sense, great.... the rest just celluloid diarrhea.

BTW, Nina Jacobson, referenced in thread-starting article, was fired yesterday, despite her being the EP of the Pirates franchise.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I implore everyone reading this thread to re-watch "Unbreakable" and pay attention with a keen eye. You will enjoy the hell out of it.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's saying something. Every one since the The Sixth Sense has been crap.
    Disney should have kissed whatever script he handed them, since it hasn't seemed to matter how bad the movies are. They still make money.

Draft saved Draft deleted