1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shyamalan a ding-dong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 23, 2006.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

Murphy demands you like his new movie, Unbarkable. :D

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You are the King of PhotoShop, CI.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Our critic saw 'Lady in the Water' last night. He hated it and is giving it just one star.
    That said, I'm a Shyamalan fan and I'm going to see the movie this weekend anyway.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

The critics have not been kind.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_in_the_water/

"Shyamalan's most alienating and self-absorbed project to date."

"Hollywood cannot pollute the ozone with anything more idiotic, contrived, amateurish or sub-mental than Lady in the Water."

"Shyamalan is mystically assuming that any idea or image that pops into his skull will make a shapely tale, no matter how much cock-and-bull logic he has to invent to Gorilla Glue it together."

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Man, that's harsh.
    It might be a bad movie. I'll find out this weekend.
    But it's got to be better than 'Little Man.'

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Shocking!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I read something on him in this week's Newsweek. I guess he's developed a God complex and is burning bridges faster than the Third Reich. Disney wants nothing to do with him. He's shooting all of his movies in Pennsylvania and won't take ANY outside creative suggestions. People in Hollywood are growing weary of him very fast. Good little story.

As for Newsweek, so I don't have to start a new thread, there is a picture in the Israel-Hezbollah story of a dead baby that will make some people cry. To be honest, I'm shocked they ran the shot.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I've read stories slanted the other way pointing toward the fact that Disney has plummeted from top movie studio 3 years ago to a distant fifth (despite Pirates) and has been panicking and firing people and trying to meddle in more films. Basically what I read was that people who gave MNS the go-ahead to do it his way changed their tune in mid-stream. Not drawing the direct comparison, but reminds me a little of the stories about Selznick and Hitchcock.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"David O. Selznick."

Bart Simpson looks confused.

"That's right, David O. Selznick!" [/Buck McCoy]

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There was an excerpt from the new book about Shyamalan in last week's Entertainment Weekly.  Describes a dinner he had with the Disney people.  The man is flaky but, at least he's trying to put together something he believes in and that isn't scripted by committee and then has the ending reshot 4 times based on trial screenings.

Like him or not, at least give him credit for friggin' trying where so many don't.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Liked 6th Sense.

Liked parts of Signs alot - not too many movies take faith & religion seriously, and present them in an interesting & fair way. Thought the perfromances were good. Could have done without the martians & plot twist.

Meant to see Unbreakable, never did.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I give the guy a lot of credit for movies that try to be engaging and interesting.
    I like his work.

Draft saved Draft deleted