1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shuttle Atlantis blasts off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this. Eight fucking pages on Paris Hilton, and no one can be bothered with a shuttle launch?

It's out of the atmosphere and heading for the ISS.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Unless Paris is aboard, I don't think people care.

Free Atlantis!

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Shuttle takeoffs and landings make me so nervous. Glad this looks like a clean blastoff so far.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So far so good. Watching on CNN just drove me nuts, because they just WOULD NOT SHUT UP. (Plus the absoutely idiotic 4-way split screen, which ensures, even on a big-screen TV, you can't see ANY of the pictures).

Much better on C-SPAN, where they basically just used the raw video feed with a minimum of extraneous jabber. At this point, I think you can assume that a pretty large part of the audience watching shuttle launches basically knows what's going on.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I suppose it was the inane stylings of CNN space "expert" Miles O'Brien you are objecting to?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mainly. I'm sitting here gritting my teeth -- not only won't he STFU, about 1/3 of his stuff is either mildly inaccurate or complete bullshit. You'd think CNN would get somebody who really knows about the space program to be the commentator on shuttle launches??

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

He drives me nuts. I was so glad when he got dropped from their morning show. Supposedly, he was supposed to go up on the Shuttle after the Columbia - the first journalist in space - but it got canceled after the accident. Jones might know more about whether it's true.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

He was on the list to be considered, no one was ever named to go.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Way dowwwwwnnnnn, below the ocean...

Plus, the Futurama parody:

10. Nothing beats watching it live from the Podunk Press parking lot.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

What's the mission of this one? Anything cool?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Working on solar arrays.

Draft saved Draft deleted