1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shut Up And Sing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It must be better on screen.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Much better, I sheepishly admit.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's a helluva leap in logic.

For years before this incident, they were a rather popular group. Then this shit goes down and they lose a ton of sales and attendance is down at concerts.

And because attendance is still down, you believe that indicates people suddenly don't like their music?

Couldn't have anything to do with the radio stations refusing to play their music, refusing to accept paid advertisements for their cds and shows and refusing to provide info on their concerts?

For some reason, I have a little bit of a problem with a company that owns several radio stations doctoring up "fan surveys" in order to justify not playing a particular musician's songs. I seem to recall someone else taking issue with that, as well. Now, who was that? Oh yeah, the likely '08 Republican nominee for president. McCain didn't find everything quite so swell with a bunch of corporate execs singling out a particular group based on nothing more than a political statement and preventing multiple stations from airing that group's music. And if you don't have a problem with that, something's wrong.

Oh, and kiss my ass. Natalie Maines can sing. You can say whatever the hell you want about what she said. But the girl can sing.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny but they do just fine in the blue states, particularly in the Northeast.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2006/06/09/dixie_chicks_see_slow_ticket_sales_in_some_cities/

So, apparently, as dog says, in the areas where the yeehaws haven't barred them from the radio, they're doing as good or better than before.

I bet Toby and The Nuge do great in your area, though.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One flaw I will point out in your arguement over Keith and his, as you put it, shtick. His song "Angery American" was actually written in the hours following the attack, just as many other song writters penned their own songs. He never planned to release the song, but his agent talked him into doing so and he's probably received more criticism for the song among critics than he has praise, especially North of the border, where it's rare to find anyone who has much good to say about him. Personally I like a lot of his music, but not for his so called patriotism schtick. It's fun, it's up beat, it's great to drink to.
    While I do not agree with a lot of the Dixie Chicks stance, also do agree they have as much a right to say what they want as anyone else in the music industry. I find it very sad that if they were a rock band they would have been praised for their anti-Bush statements, but because they were country they were hamemred for it. I do also enjoy their music. Most of it is worth picking up and listening to.

6. McCain'll have another opinion on that within the hour.
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/11/19/john-mccain-floppin-around/

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hondo, if six posts ago was the first time you'd ever heard Natalie referred to as fat, you must have had bananas in your ears and hands over your eyes when she made her original comment. I guarantee you, it was being said back then and has been ever since.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Five noms.

That Grammys could be fun.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Think they'll pull a Cash and show up geeked-out to the eyeteeth and stomp out all the lights on stage?

I do, too.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm looking for an Album of the Year award going to the Chicks. Record of the Year comes down to the Chicks or Gnarls Barkley and Song of the Year (writing category) should go to the Chicks without a fight.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There were a ton of Springsteen fans pissed off that he played the Vote for Change Tour (with all monies going to MoveOn). These same fans were pissed he was making anti-Bush comments during The Rising Tour. Some of them went as far as getting tickets for the Vote for Change Tour through scalpers in the parking lots the nights of the show so their money wouldn't go directly to MoveOn, others boycotted the shows. Although it was a small percentage of fans that were pissed, it was a very vocal minority.
    He was victimized by Ann Coulter at some point, having her make the statement "shut up and sing" apply to him as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted