1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shut Up And Sing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 18, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, the Nashville establishment has been playing thought-police with country music for a long time.

Go ask Willie.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Or, Zeke, ask Johnny Cash (RIP)....

[​IMG]

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Or go ask Kris Kristofferson...

We could probably to this all day.

jJust ask Waylon.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

And actually, the Dixie Chicks have probably won more long-term fans with their intelligence than Toby's won with his yeehaw bandwagon jumping.

Supporting the war isn't cool anymore. Bad news for yeehaw Toby.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'd go with the "Home" CD. It's more traditional music and has a folk-ish appeal that their other music often does not.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yessir!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then the album and concert sales for the Chicks should be climbing. Funny thing...they're not. Think fans finally realized that rare is the song when all three of them are singing in the same key?

And as far as Cash, Waylon, Willie and Kristofferson, I don't think they were ever starving. Willie's problem is bad tax advice.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Aren't concert ticket sales down for almost everyone?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

8 seconds with the chick sister everyone says looks cross-eyed is my fantasy. i heart her.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're probably right. But with the war and President Bush as unpopular as the polls suggest, I don't want to hear any more whining from the Ditzie Chicks camp and their fans that they're getting punished for their politics. If there is the same correlation now than after their infamous London comments, they should be playing to packed houses in the 50 largest cities in the nation.

Face it: They're a halfway decent country girl band, and have more looks than talent.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Album sales are doing just fine, hondo. Concert sales ... not so much. And yes, they're still getting punished for their politics, although that's a free-market debate that I don't want to get into this time. I know the left's reasons, and I know the right's response, and frankly, I don't give a damn.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great moment in the film.

Bush is interviewed about the controversy.

"I'm sorry if their feelings are hurt [by the 2003 sales' dropoff]..."

Maines shoots back at the TV screen (perhaps missing a word or two): "Feelings hurt? What a moron."

Got that right.

Draft saved Draft deleted