1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shut Up And Sing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 18, 2006.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

When Air America stations organize listener boycotts and rallies where liberals throw Toby Keith CDs under a steamroller, call us.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Doesn't answer the question.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, Guy, I think it does.

Toby Keith's not doing a documentary about life as America's most targeted musician.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't understand. If an individualknocks those knocking the Dixie Chicks, but kills (figuratively) Toby Keith, is s/he as inconsistent as one who does the reverse?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

8 seconds with Natalie is BYH's fantasy.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It depends on how vociferiously one kills (figuratively) Toby Keith.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can't speak for everyone else, but what bothers me about Toby Keith is not necessarily his "America should stick a boot up the world's collective ass" and "I'm Mr. Patriotism" schtick (although I do find that distasteful), it's the fact that he's clearly cashing in on that attitude, which has the clear stench of being manufactured for just that reason.

Could it be that 9/11 "changed" him, and he all of a sudden became a Ford kinda guy? Anything's possible. But his whole being smacks of "war profiteer" to me, and that's what rubs me the wrong way about him in the end.

The Dixie Chicks, on the other hand, did nothing of the sort. They didn't take their anti-war stance to make more money. Or, well, if they did, it was a very ill-conceived money grab because they've clearly been hurt more by it financially than helped.

So I don't consider it at all the same thing, G_I. I admire the Dixie Chicks for taking an unpopular stand that hurt their careers, at least in the short term. Toby Keith, on the other hand, has painted himself as someone I'm pretty sure he's not. And even if he is, it's hardly been a bold stand to take, especially since this transformation has basically coincided with his ascension up the ladder of country/pop music popularity, along with the increased bulging of his wallet.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but Columbo, in a Sox-Yankees twist, has bought up all the rooms at the hotel she's staying. :D :D :D

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

You don't need a room.. a closet will do for 8 seconds

10. I'm going with the live stuff.
    I'll check back.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fen,

Dixie Chicks songs worth checking out (live or otherwise):

Wide Open Spaces
    Let 'er Rip
    Ready to Run
    Cowboy Take Me Away
    Goodbye Earl
    Sin Wagon
    Let Him Fly
    Long Time Gone
    Traveling Soldier
    Top Of The World
    Long Way Around
    Not Ready To Make Nice

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The few radio stations who organized such boycotts and rallies did so under the protections of their First Amendment rights, as did the Dixie Chicks with their comments and songs. People could have gone straight from an anti-Dixie Chicks rally and still bought a Dixie Chicks CD or concert ticket. There has never been one instance of supression of their right to A. make a living and B. exercise their right of free speech.

However, they did make the mistake of alienating their customer base. Their own fault. The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young etc., made political statements in their music and supported those statements in other ways, and their natural base supported those stances. I'm sure people who did not agree with them made personal decisions not to listen to their music on the radio, not to buy a record/tape/CD or not to buy a concert ticket based on that disagreement. However, I never heard any entertainers and their supporters in the media and/or fans piss and moan as much as for the Dixie Chicks.

Maybe criticizing the Bush administration alienated a higher percentage of the Dixie Chicks' base than coming out against Vietnam or Nixon by the Beatles or CSNY, but that's their tough luck. They could have just, as the thread is titled, shut up and sang.

One more point: I do believe I heard many, many, MANY more snide remarks and insults about Ann Coulter's physical appearance before I heard anyone rip Natalie Maines for her weight. And the first time I ever heard anyone calling Natalie Maines fat was about six posts before this one.

That said, about Natalie Maines: I'd hit it...as long as she didn't talk.

Draft saved Draft deleted