1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"shucked & jived" offensive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nutgraph, May 15, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's also in Super Punch-Out, Super Nintendo's de-Tysonized version of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Bob Charlie's (who replaced Don Flamenco, IIRC) trainer says it during the course of the fight.

Is that in any way significant? Probably not.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What I can't figure out is why blacks object to being called colored. I mean, correct me if I am wrong but what does the C.P in NAACP stand for and isn't that an organization created by black folks? So how can the phrase be offensive?

3. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Actually, I am suggesting that we simply ignore the less serious matter like this, because this isn't a serious matter in my book. If someone felt obliged to educate the writer and editors about the term's history and background, great. Go for it. Besides, the term is a cliche that's better left unused. But outrage and comparisions to the N-word and hate mail? I don't get it.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think people go over-the-top when they complain because they do not think they will be heard otherwise in today's society, especially when they are dealing with someone who reaches a large audience and has toadies who will defend him no matter what.

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Who said "blacks" object to being called colored? It's just so terribly dated the user sounds ignorant, notwithstanding the NAACP's adherence to the term.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

All the more reason to choose your battles instead of indiscriminately rallying war cries.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

That's all well and good but is not a very practical attitude when you have to deal with such people. If you've ever dealt with an angry mob at the newspaper's front door after business hours, and I have once, you can't be completely dismissive of their outrage if you expect to defuse the situation without throwing someone under the bus. I think they gave me a lot of slack for coming outside by myself in a fairly bad neighborhood to talk to them calmly and give them honest answers while also showing some understanding for why they were so upset.

8. zagoshe

Because you used the phrase shucked and jive?

Were these people in this mob wearing black bow ties?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

However, I will make an exception with Zagoshe and instead tell him he is too stupid to waste further time on. We all have our limits.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I can't believe "cakewalk" is an offensive term.......I've never heard anyone even remotely hint thats it's offensive.

ya learn something new everyday.

11. zagoshe

I'm stupid? Yes, independently thinking and not kissing the ring of every self-important asshole is such an annoying habit.....

12. A topical update to this story:

SANTA ROSA, California (AP) -- A judge ruled Tuesday that a high school student who sued after being disciplined and then mercilessly teased for using the phrase "That's so gay" is not entitled to monetary damages.

Sonoma County Superior Court Judge Elaine Rushing said she sympathized with 18-year-old Rebekah Rice for the ridicule she experienced at Maria Carrillo High School. But, the judge said, Rice's lawyers failed to prove that school administrators had violated any state laws or singled the girl out for punishment.

"All of us have probably felt at some time that we were unfairly punished by a callous teacher, or picked on and teased by boorish and uncaring bullies," the judge wrote in a 20-page ruling. "Unfortunately, this is part of what teenagers endure in becoming adults."

The law "is simply too crude and imprecise an instrument to satisfactorily soothe deeply hurt feelings," Rushing said.

The case filed by Rice and her parents in 2003 brought widespread attention to a three-word phrase that some teenagers use to mean "stupid" or "uncool," but has come under attack as an insensitive insult to gay people.

The Rices argued that a teacher violated Rebekah Rice's First Amendment rights by sending her to the principal's office and putting a note in her school file. During a trial in February, Rebekah Rice testified she said "That's so gay" as a response to other students asking her rude questions about her Mormon upbringing.

Rushing said the school district was not liable for monetary damages because the law under which the Rices brought the lawsuit specifically excludes schools. In addition, she said that school officials are given wide latitude in deciding how to enforce non-discrimination provisions of the state education code.

The judge added that it didn't make sense to have the referral stricken from the girl's school record, since she graduated last year.

The lawsuit also accused the public high school of having a double standard because, it said, administrators never sought to shield Rebekah from teasing based on Mormon stereotypes. It also alleged that the Rices were singled out because of the family's conservative views on sexuality.

Rushing rejected each claim, going so far as to suggest that the Rices had created a miserable situation for Rebekah by advertising their dissatisfaction with the school's handling of the incident during her freshman year.

Draft saved Draft deleted