1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shows you can and can't watch in reruns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 27, 2014.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I could watch NewsRadio reruns any time, anywhere, especially the seasons before Phil Hartman died. Coach is another one I really enjoy, but you can seldom find it around here any more. Otherwise, the Simpsons and Married With Children are definitely ones I can watch over and over. Seinfeld, Two and a Half Men and the Big Bang Theory also work, though I agree TBBT hasn't had a long enough run to be syndicated as much as it is, so inevitably you can watch it too much. Cosby is still watchable too.

I find I like Everybody Loves Raymond a lot more in reruns than I did the first time around. Maybe I can relate more to the family humor at this stage in my life. I also find Friends more tolerable than I did at the time.

Some shows like All in the Family and Three's Company are great to watch now, even with their age. Conversely, some sitcoms that were big hits in the late 1980s and early 1990s like Home Improvement, Full House, Saved By The Bell, Who's The Boss, etc. don't seem to hold up as well to me. They really seem far too predictable and mostly after-school special-ish looking back now.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Very good show. Maura Tierney in her prime. Such a cutie pie.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Awesome, awesome show. One of the best ensemble casts ever, in how they interacted with each other and genuinely seemed to get along.
    I know its run was relatively short (only four or five seasons, I think), but the fact some cable channel never picked this up to run in regular rerun rotation is criminal. A&E had it for a while, and at lunchtime which was nice (I'd come home, eat and watch an episode of Law & Order and NewsRadio before heading back to work), but now about the only time you find it is a random 3:30 a.m. showing on WE or Logo.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of Law & Order, what's with its resurgence in syndication lately?
    TNT has been showing it pretty regularly, and WE seems to have marathons at least twice a week. Most of the episodes they've shown have been from the 1994-98 glory years, too.
    It seemed like the number of airings had waned the last year or two, then all of a sudden it's back with a vengeance.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Watched a couple episodes of Three's Company a couple weeks ago, and despite the bad acting and clichéd story line, I laughed all the way through.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The only old sitcom I really enjoy in reruns is WKRP. Obviously, it's a little dated with the late 70s music and wardrobe, but, my God, it was such a riot that it transcends those limitations.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was it the one where there some sort of misunderstanding about who was having sex with whom?

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think after Hartman died, they scrambled to get through another season with Jon Lovitz in his place, but most people involved with the show said it just wasn't the same after.

Before that, NBC seemed to do them a disservice because they were always being moved around in the schedule and never found a good place in the lineup. I'd bet a lot of people only know about that show because of its time in reruns.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That first episode after Hartman was killed is amazing television simply because they weren't even really acting, the cast pretty much just openly poured the hearts out and cried together in front of the camera.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can definitely see that in the scene at the end where they all open the letters. There's some genuine emotion pouring through. I wonder if they did that in one take and just let the cameras roll, or if they broke down a couple of times and had to find their way through it.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

To whoever wrote that the problem with dramas in syndication was the serialization of them; great point.

I can watch Seinfeld anytime, anywhere because I love that type of humor.

Usually though, when I lose momentum on a show I just stop and its no big deal. Its funny, I watched Breaking Bad all the way up the the start of the last season and just never watched it. Wife is bugging me to do so but I've kinda moved on. Probably my loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted