1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shows you can and can't watch in reruns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 27, 2014.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been a few years, but, GSN would rerun the original B&W "What's My Line" on Sunday nights. Appointment TV.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And they got huge movie stars on as the mystery guest.

Can you imagine Brad Pitt doing a guest shot on a game show today?

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Can't watch Big Bang Theory under any circumstances. I want my sitcoms to have comedic situations. In other words, they need to be funny. IMHO, BBT is the least funny sitcom I can recall that seems to have achieved its level of popularity.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would be 'Two and a Half Men.'
    How the hell did that become a hit?

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1 the microphone. Strange looking but, yeah, cool.

I got completely hooked on "The Fugitive" back in the early 1990s when the series was aired on A&E. Watched every single day. Would again but despite a zillion channels out there, I cannot seem to find it.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I joke with my wife that they should rename it the "Women Screaming at Each Other" channel.

I do, however, watch Million Dollar Listing from time to time, and not because my wife makes me. I like looking at really fancy houses and great architecture. The manufactured soap opera BS is easily ignorable.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Top Chef.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I wish I could get the Game Show Network just for Match Game. Sometimes, I'll binge-watch a bunch of clips on YouTube.

For me, it's BBT (sorry to all of you who hate it, I can rewatch this all day), Will and Grace, Gilmore Girls, the first season of Veronica Mars, Sherlock, pretty much any true-crime show (Dateline, 20/20, anything on Investigation Discovery, Snapped, Unsolved Mysteries). I would watch the older sitcoms that I grew up on (Happy Days, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Cheers...) but I can rarely find them on TV. I have discovered many episodes of Taxi are on Hulu and have started watching that show.

Can't watch: pretty much any hour-long drama. Once I see it once, unless I need to rewatch it to remind myself of the plot, I don't sit through it again. HIMYM used to be in the rewatch over and over category until the finale.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BBC America is currently cycling back through Season 1 of ST:TNG.

My god. Utterly abominable.

Looking back with 25+ years hindsight, it really is remarkable how close the entire Star Trek empire was to collapsing in about 1989.

Star Trek V came out and was a critical and commercial dud (certainly compared to ST IV) and the first twi seasons of TNG were more or less a fiasco. Had they not righted the ship with TNG the next season, the whole thing could have ground to a halt right then.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Come on. The criminally unfunny Jim Belushi was on for-fucking-ever with "According to Jim." Unwatchable, even with the chick playing his wife.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can see what you mean, and yes, maybe that could've happened, TV-wise, although it I didn't mind the early TNG stuff as much as you, it sounds like, and the later shows really did have some good stuff in them.

The books, though, and most of the books series, are quite good -- amazingly so, considering it's all made up and extended -- backwards, forward and outward in all directions -- from all the TV series, and considering that most of the material has been written by people who weren't involved in the TV shows.

It has gotten so that I enjoy most of the books more than most of the TV series now, and I still like the TV stuff.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No love for Jericho?

Draft saved Draft deleted