1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shows that completed their brilliant runs without jumping the shark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

William Devane?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nooooo.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Dick Van Dyke Show
    Futurama (though if history has taught us anything, it's that shows that return from the dead tend to suck more)

Predictions: The Wire, The Shield.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

shot --

Great call on My So Called Life (shouldn't So-Called be hyphenated; that always bugged me) a show that likely would have been saved by the internet if it came along a little later.

The Simpsons are an interesting case. Clearly they've lost a little off the fastball, but I can't put my finger on a definitive jump the shark moment. (Although "reeking of panda love" does pop into my head...)

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Disagree. He was on the first or second season of West Wing.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The patron saint of shark-jumping, ifilus. ;)

Doc, he might have been on first or second season ... but they may have been the WW shark moment.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Someone else mentioned it. Arrested Development, to me, is the best show ever on television when you combine the incredible writing and acting. It was brilliant through the end, even though it was canceled early.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd add Curb, even though I wonder if Larry David's real-life divorce is going to be written in. That would be tremendous if it does though.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Law & Order jumped the shark once Adam Schiff left. Sorry, gang. It definitely jumped once the ADA dropped the lesbian line in her last episode.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

All the shows with TedMcGinley. He's like the human grim reaper for TV shows., Sportsnight excluded.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not even close, shotty. The second season of West Wing is widely considered its best. I think it won pretty much every Emmy that year, and every Golden Globe.

Draft saved Draft deleted