1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shows that completed their brilliant runs without jumping the shark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

And SportsNight, while great, did get way too bogged down in some of the relationship stuff in the second season.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Home Improvement. Good stuff, there.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Don't forget that MTM had Robbie Rist in it the last season or two, which is the very definition of shark-jumping, I believe.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

South Park
    Seinfeld (some say it did, I disagree)
    Arrested Development, although cancelled early
    The Sopranos

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

The Wonder Years

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Simpsons

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Damn good thread subject, Simon.

According to jumptheshark.com, here are top vote-getters in "never jumped." All of these have a majority of its votes being for "never jumped."

Lost, Supernatural, House, The Simpsons, The X-Files, CSI, Buffy, West Wing, Law & Order.

Sports Night, My So-Called Life, The Rockford Files, Barney Miller, Everwood, The Odd Couple, St. Elsewhere, Scrubs, Seinfeld.

I would underline "My So-Called Life," a show which could have maintained a strong arc for another 4-5 seasons than it lasted.

I enjoyed "Buffy," but the show morphed so much from beginning to end, it's hard to believe that most don't believe there was some sort of shark-jumping moment in there somewhere.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shit, forgot to add Deadwood to the list. Cocksucker.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Who nails it first? Who is the No. 1 "kiss of death" for a TV show -- when this actor/actress shows up in the cast, kiss 'er good-bye?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Joshua Malina, which is why Sports Night never had a chance.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's making a run for a latter-day version, but not yet.

Interestingly, the recognized choice gets some credit for the demise of "Sports Night."

Draft saved Draft deleted