1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Showing off your vocabulary in articles...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Luther Davis, Jun 6, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The TV equivalent...

I wrote a script about a bridge collapse. It led to this uncomfortable exchange with my anchor:

Anchor: "What's this word?"
    Me: "Girder."
    Anchor: "Do you really think our viewers know what a 'girder' is?"
    Me: "Yes, Sally, I think just about everyone knows what a girder is."

2. Well, I guess it all determines on what you're actually writing on.

For example, what caused me to create this thread was after viewing an article on a high school feature. To me, using that kind of language in a HS gamer/feature--when the large majority of your readers are the kids themselves--doesn't make sense.

I don't think there are too many high school kids who could define "ostensibly", let alone spell it out.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why assume HS features are written solely (or even primarily) for HS kids?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Prove what?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No.
    A writer should have a sizeable vocabulary.
    Word choice is everything in the game.
    Pick the right ones.

6. When did I say solely or primarily? But in my honest belief, I think the majority of readers are high school kids.

The High School I attended happened to be very successful in many sports in my state. Many of the teams contended for state titles year in and year out.

What I remember is that a lot of the kids would pass around the papers amongst one another. I don't know if this was unusual, but we even had newspaper stands in the lunch room.

Maybe my experience is unusual, but that's what I expected. My apologies if I'm wrong.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I have been in a war with one of our writers on this very issue for the entire time he has been here. I have heard complaints from the community that he is sounding like an ass using big words that nobody understands.
    His rationale, "Well, they should get a dictionary and learn them. They should want to better themselves."
    I say he's an asshole and alienating readers.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What's a girder?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An undergarment for Asian ladies.

10. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Back when I was an intern, I was told to avoid being too flowery. So I think it's best to be straight forward and don't get too cute. There's exceptions, especially with features. But for the most part, I feel like showing off your vocabulary can weaken your writing by making it seem too all over the place.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I cannot let that one pass without a politically incorrect tip of the cap.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Yeah, but what's a bridge?

Draft saved Draft deleted