1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Show some respect: don't type near the mic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by johngregory, Jun 7, 2013.

1. johngregory

johngregory New Member

Doesn't apply in this instance. This is the postgame podium presser. Radio and TV people are all plugged direct into the mult-box, so everyone's getting the same audio. Yes, he was actually sitting close enough to have his typing picked up, which is then heard on everyone's material from those pressers.

I agree. (EVERYBODY SEE THE RADIO GUY AGREEING?) Reporters in these pile-ups need to respect each other. I always appreciate the TV guys who bring stepladders for their camera, or put their mics on long booms so they can stay out of the way. We all have work to do, and there's little reason for anyone to have to interfere with each other. I'm sure we can give examples of sports journalists across all media acting disrespectfully, just in different ways. My intention was not to generalize about any specific group.

There ya go.

Did I mention a specific reporter or newspaper other than myself? Nope. And like I said, the situation has been dealt with.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing at pressers. It's easier for me than taking notes by hand.
    I'd react the same way. I'm trying to do my job in an area where what I'm doing is perfectly OK.
    You say the coaches are low speakers and if they talked louder, it would drown out the tapping, so why not ask them to speak up? It's no different than asking a guy to move.
    If he was going out of his way to ruin your audio, he's an ass. But if he's doing the same thing every game, shouldn't it be up to you to find a solution that doesn't impede on him?

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, ask them to speak up. That's fucking brilliant.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Did someone actually approach him and respectfully ask if he could move? I read you got fed up and went to media relations, then had an experienced hand confront him. Did anyone one politely approach him and just ask?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll ask again:

Can you clip a unidirectional mic on the coach's shirt? That worked magic for me with a major college football coach.

6. Rhody31

That's kind of the point.

7. Johnny Dangerously

You never know until you ask. *

* But admittedly, with everyone else plugged into a mult box, chances are the answer will be no.

8. I can see Rhody trying to tell Belichick to speak up at a Patriots presser.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I remember watching some Cubs games in the 70s and hearing the score ticker in the background. Sometimes it was like having three in the booth: Brickhouse, Boudreau and the ticker.

I thought it added to the "press box feel" and loved it as a teen-ager dreaming about going into the business.

Now I'd probably find it really annoying.

10. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

When the local micromarket, TV station's camera-dude would jump in on my postgame interview with a minor-league coach -- never asking a question, just taping the coach's responses to my questions -- I liked to reposition my handheld microcassette recorder so that it completely blocked the coach's face from whatever angle the cameraman was going for. Or, I'd stop asking questions and the coach and I would wait silently until camera-dude finally asked one. It ALWAYS was "You (won/lost), Coach. How does it feel?" The coach thought the whole thing was hilarious. He's an analyst on ESPN now (the coach, not the camera-dude). How does it feel?

11. Rhody31

I wouldn't. But I also wouldn't ask someone following the rules to change how they do things to make things better for me.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Can we get some audio?

Draft saved Draft deleted