1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shouldn't this be an illegal pitch?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looks weird ... but when you define a pitch as being thrown while the pitcher's foot is still on the rubber, that's a whole can of worms too. Nobody is actually still in contact with the rubber when they throw the ball.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Did not think about that. Good point.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Jordan Walden used to have a little hop in his approach. Maybe he still does, but I haven't seen him pitch in a while.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Walden is pitching for St. Louis this year, and he still has the hop.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Really? I haven't seen film slowed down to know for sure one way or the other, but I would have thought most pitchers are still in contact.

7. LongTimeListener

My initial thought was just off memory, but I called up a slo-mo Kershaw video to confirm.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Hmm...still not sure. I'd like to see the third base or overhead camera view. To me, it looks like his toe/instep might still be on the rubber.

9. LongTimeListener

Here's one of Lincecum then.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Kershaw's foot drags behind him, off the rubber. It isn't much, but there seems to be space between his toes and the mound.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

They absolutely should be required to be in contact with the rubber. Otherwise, they are not pitching from the proper distance. Hell, they even make college softball pitchers adhere to that.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They can't even get the strike zone correct, and they're going to enforce the contact on the rubber rule?

Draft saved Draft deleted