1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you buy GE stock today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

On another note, checked the IRA today. Lost 600 smackeroos in the first quarter. Damn. That hurts.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Uh, how many years before you start collecting on it?

Paper loss means nothing until you're old enough to be taking withdrawals.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

About 30. Not worried about it, at all. Just stings a little.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'll ask this in a hijack attempt:

Would you buy commodities now rather than stocks?

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Should I buy now? Only if Jack Donaghy is about to take over for Mr. Gueiss.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yawn, the problem with commodities is that governments can and do fix the prices whenever they find it necessary, which is usually right when they're at a top, like now. Also, they are a pond dominated by big fish. General Mills needs a price of wheat it can forecast on a six-month basis minimum, and it trades futures to keep it stable if it can.
    Stocks are hard enough, but they're straightforward compared to commodities. Too many variables outside the laws of supply and demand.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Two points: GE has been trending steadily (and sharply) down for the last six months. I don't think it's bottomed yet. No good news in the forseeable future... Which leads to the second point -- I wouldn't bank too hard on GE as defense contractor unless you're in it for really long term. Nothing all that bouyant on the appropriations horizon.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

GE took a hard fall when it missed projected earnings. While it may be a good time to buy, there is no rush. If you like GE at $31, you should like it at $32 or #33, since most people should be long time investors. As the saying goes, it's never a good idea to catch a falling knife.

9. It had actually rebounded some - or at least steadied - before Friday.

10. Stock question - How can you tell on a stock's chart if there was a stock split? Does it just look like a one day plummet? Or is it denoted somehow?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.aspx?PT=11&showchartbt=Redraw+chart&compsyms=&D4=1&DD=1&D5=0&DCS=2&MA0=0&MA1=0&CF=0&DC=1&D7=&D6=&symbol=msft&nocookie=1&SZ=0

Just click on the button for stock splits (as I have done here), click "Redraw Chart", and it will show you all the splits.

Draft saved Draft deleted