1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you buy GE stock today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, if you decide to buy GE, one way to keep from getting burned too badly is to buy some now, and keep buying every month. Dollar cost average.

If it does drop more in the ensuing weeks, you will be buying at an even lower price. And if it goes up, you will have some profit, and will be buying fewer shares at a higher price.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As a pretty steadfast rule, we refer to dividends as "sticky." Once they're increased, they (MOST LIKELY) won't come down. Think about it. Why would anyone take money out of their shareholders' pockets and further drive down the price.

3. three_bags_full

And to answer the original question of the thread, I really can't tell YOU what to do. I can, however, recommend you subscribe to a couple of Value Line products that give appreciation ranges.

I have (manually) analyzed several stocks and predicted target prices and they have been spot on. All through using Value Line products. It ain't cheap, by no means, but it's worth it.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

WaMu slashed their dividend from $0.15 to $0.01 this week. Why keep it at a penny? They would be thrown out of many mutual funds without a dividend.

Obviously WaMu is facing more trouble than most. But I don't see today's market as a bottom. Who knows?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've been out this week, but somebody told me Project Runway got stolen away from Bravo by Lifetime?

That alone is enough to make me run from GE.

6. three_bags_full

But they're a bank in trouble with the credit crunch, an unusual and severe situation that required drastic measures.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sell apples for a nickel?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They won't jettison NBC. It's a vanity department, not to mention a money maker (albeit not as much as it used to be).

At one time, probably about 20-22 years ago, GE was responsible for one cent of every dollar of the entire US GDP.

I'll repeat that, to allow you to fit it in your mental Samsonite: GE was responsible for one cent of every dollar of the US GDP. Forget Alfred Sloan's famous saying that "What's good for General Motors is good for the U.S." Perhaps in the 1950s that was right, but it was more applicable to GE than it ever was for GM.

P&G is a good, solid stock you can't go wrong with, especially in these times. For my money, however, I love Johnson&Johnson: solid dividend combined with being a non-dangerous (i.e. the FDA isn't going to torpedo one of their products and send the stock plummeting) proxy for the entire health-care sector.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't own any J&J, unfortunately.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I heard JRC stock has no place to go, but up now. :)

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If we're going to be a war for the near future, there are a couple of defense contractors that'll do well. Remember, it's our government spending those dollars.

11. three_bags_full

Amen.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted