1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should women and men play on teams together?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shifty Squid, May 27, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds right. Now make me a sandwich

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Rags - I said break through in COLLEGE... One day.. Not now.

Women haven't been playing basketball as long as men. Let's give evolution a chance.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So women are going to evolve into the type of athlete that could compete on the college level but men are going to stay stagnant and not evolve into even greater athletes?

4. Lugnuts

If there's anybody who's going to stagnate, it's you people. 8)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, when the discussion is whether or not women should play with men, it means everything.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The overall size and athleticism of the top female players has developed tremendously in the last 30 years, but much of that was due to how far women's basketball had to go. As time goes on, the rate of improvement will slow.

7. I saw Manon Rheaume play goalie for the Lightning in a preseason game against the Bruins when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, she gave up something like four goals on five shots in the first period.

I suppose that's not a great analogy as there have been a few male Lightning goalies who have done the same. But I bet none of them sold tickets the way she did.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Covered a hockey team where Manon was an assistant. Stunning. Absolutely stunning in person.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Lugnuts is really Ross Perot

10. From page 110 of the most recent issue of ESPN the Magazine, Kenny Mayne's Q&A with Candice Wiggins of the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx:

Kenny Mayne: I don't think I'm being patronizing by saying a WNBA team couldn't beat an NBA team. But could it beat a decent men's college team? Division III? What a bout a men's state champion high school team? Would you beat them? My daughter says you would.

Candice Wiggins: Let's throw the ball out there and find out. I played on a guys' team into high school and was a big part of the team. I started. One of my teammates was Jared Dudley, who plays for the Suns, and another was my brother, who is 6'9". Based on that, I feel like we could.

I just wish she were more specific in saying which level of team she thinks they could compete with or defeat because I've always wondered about where high-level female athletes think they fit in to the giant sports puzzle. Everyone else has an opinion, but I rarely see one of the women actually speak out about it.

11. Lugnuts

Heh. Regardless of what you think of her opinion, you gotta love her attitude.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I played in pickup games against a top-5 NBA Hall of Famer. I scored once. Based on that, I think I could play in the NBA. Let's roll out the balls and see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted