1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should women and men play on teams together?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shifty Squid, May 27, 2010.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Number of putts per round has as much -- or more -- to do with tee-to-green play than with actual putting ability.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the bigger question is: if we let women play with men, who will be in the kitchen baking the post-game brownies?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

College basketball? No.

I play each week at a local college in the city I live in. Often times, I will guard a 25-year-old assistant coach. Three years before, she averaged 18 points a game at a BCS school in the state. Fundamentally solid, great shooter. We are both 6'3", which makes us a logical matchup.

We generally play each other to a draw -- I'm 10 years older, can't jump anymore, never played college ball - I MIGHT have been good enough to ride the bench at a D3 but I went to a school with 36,000 students - and was a marginal high school player. She was "Miss" (our state) and, even against my old bones, can't create her own shot. She'll squeeze off threes if she has a good pick.

EDIT: Can't believe I didn't mention this as well. When I was in college 15+ years ago, I was a frequent "practice dummy" for the women's basketball team, which, at the time was Top 20 (BCS school) and playing in front of 8,000 a game. Was part of seven guys who came in once a week to throw elbows, box out and toughen the women's players up a little bit. We usually played them to a draw - no Division I players on our team, maybe a couple of guys who could have played D2 or higher D3. The most dramatic difference I saw -- the guy's team could take the ball to the hole in traffic... the female players would almost always drive and pull up for a 10 footer. Now that I think about it more, I wonder if that is part of a gender difference -- men willing to go push to the limit while the women take the less physical but possibly smarter play...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Her column goes wrong from the beginning wher she states: NOBODY WOULD ever suggest that having a penis renders men less competitive with women in athletics, yet there is no sport in which having one's genitalia on the outside is an advantage.

Actually having a penis is what gives men an advantage in sports. They're called testicles. They are part of the penis. Why are they called testicles? because they produce testosterone. Which men have more of. She may want to talk to WADA about what extra testosterone does for an athlete.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Agreed and previously considered. But women are also playing from closer tees, presumably giving them a tee-to-green advantage to compensate for their generally slower clubhead speed. If you're aware of some statistic that is a better gauge of this and supports the notion that women putt better, please bring it forth. This was the best general putting statistic I could find, though, and I think the women's closer tees at least make this a plausible (though admittedly flawed) way to gauge the question.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

McNabb's Momma makes some good soup

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any top-20-ranked boys team in any decent basketball state would destroy any WNBA team. It wouldn't have to be an All-American team or anything close to it. Any team with a couple of beefy 6-5 to 6-8 frontliners and a couple of D-I caliber guards would annihilate any WNBA team.

Which means nothing.

WNBA teams are good on their own level of competition. It's idiotic to judge them on any other basis. The greatest HS boys basketball team in the nation would lose by 100 to the New Jersey Nets; big whoop.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Rags, go back and read my posts. I said it would never happen in the NBA.

There seems to be 2 different arguments here.

One is will sports ever be gender-integrated? No.

Another is can a single woman break through in a given sport? I think yes.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. But I didn't see how that sport is basketball. And I thought you were implying there is a single woman who could break through.

Who are the best women players? Taurasi? Tamika Catchings? Candace Parker?

None of them are even close to being able to compete with NBA players.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now didn't Nancy Leiberman play in the CBA or another men's minor league? Anyone remember how she fared?

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I believe it was the old USBL?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You guys live in wimpy states. 47.84 isn't within two seconds of the state record here. It does make the state top 10 for this season -- at No. 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted