1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Wheldon story have been A1 in the NYT?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So Dale Jr. is a guarantee, but the guy who has won nearly twice as many consecutive titles as anyone else ever has is not? No one had ever won more than three in a row. He's going for six this year.

And he gets a "maybe" while Kyle Freaking Busch is No. 2?

You're delirious.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Schumacher and Franchitti might make the list as well. Emphasis on might...

3. imjustagirl

IndyCar is the wine and cheese crowd. I guarantee more NYT readers know Wheldon than they do Sterling Marlin, who also won his sport's flagship race twice.

4. imjustagirl

Franchitti no way. Schumacher, again, I don't know the NYT that well. It would make the cover of every paper in Europe, but maybe not so much here.

5. Mizzougrad96

You may very well be right. The only reason I included Franchitti is because a lot of people know who he is because of who he is married to.

6. imjustagirl

Right, and I think four series titles (now) and a dabbling in NASCAR and all that, plus the Ashley, is a big deal. I still say it's not enough to crack 1A on the NYT.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jimmy Johnson, absolutely. Jeff Gordon, definitely. Dale Jr, without question because of the dad angle. Dario? I'm going to say yes because of Ashley Judd. Schumacher, yes. Too big of a name to ignore.

8. imjustagirl

But what about Trevor Bayne, DD?

9. Mizzougrad96

Add Danica and that's my list.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Castroneves, too, because of DWTS.

11. imjustagirl

So the NYT would put Dario on A1 because he's married to a past-her-prime actress? Is Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband making A1 when he dies?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. and Danica. That's all that potentially could rise to making A1 of the NYT.

Draft saved Draft deleted