1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Wheldon story have been A1 in the NYT?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We discussed the placement of the Steve Jobs obit. What about Wheldon? There is a tease to sports at the bottom of A1, but no separate story.

Should there have been? Did the New York Times drop the ball today? East Coast bias?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Only if Hines Ward belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Seriously, no. He wasn't even remotely well known enough to merit such a thing. Big sports story, but the front page of the Times? Come on, man!

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The reigning Indy 500 champion died in a fiery, horrifying wreck on live television that involved 15 cars. On a slow news day. That's a story that goes beyond the mere name recognition of the driver. If Dan Wheldon dies in a farming accident next November, it shouldn't get that placement. But this time? These circumstances? Absolutely.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wrong.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a matter of news judgment.

But I think the things you pointed out are the reasons it got teased on A1 rather than ignored.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Have to admit, I was curious myself about where some big U.S. papers played this story, so I spent some time at newseum.org.

Indy Star had a 1A story (since Wheldon won Indy 500) and the Las Vegas RJ did, too, of course (since it was a local story). New York Post had it on the cover, but I suspect it was mainly because they could run a big photo of an explosion next to the words "ORGY SPREE" in 200-point type (for a story about Dominique Strauss-Kahn's exploits).

By and large, though, most big papers -- both east coast and west coast -- had nothing more than 1A teases: LA Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Philly Inq, Boston Globe, Denver Post. UK papers (he's from England) didn't appear to have it out front, either, but that's probably more a factor of the time difference.

St. Petersburg Times had a full story on 1A, naturally (he lived in St. Petersburg). Surprisingly, the crosstown rival Tampa Tribune did not (1A tease).

My magazine interviewed him three years ago for an at-home profile. Nice guy. Sad news.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tease off A1 except for the notable papers mentioned above -- Las Vegas, Indy, St. Pete -- is appropriate. Curious how it was played in sports sections, especially on an NFL Monday. Here, it was lower part of the cover with secondary photo. NLCS clincher was pushed inside to page 6.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We're a 16K daily and we had it on 1B. Like someone said, slow news day.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We stripped it across the top of sports. I wasn't on duty, but left one specific instruction: No driver's ed-like photos.

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The networks led with the story on Monday night.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't even on the front page of the Washington Post's sports section. Indycar racing is on par with women's golf around here though.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It's on par with women's golf at almost every paper except one. The 500 is special. The series is not. This is a different discussion if it's Danica or Helio, the only two names non-IndyCar fans might know.

Changing gears for a second...Does the Post have a separate Redskins section or just turn the sports cover over to them?

Draft saved Draft deleted