1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should undercover police be allowed to stop and arrest people randomly?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 23, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Interesting case in Pittsburgh. Three (white) undercover cops spotted a (black) teenager walking down the street with what they thought was a weapon -- and what turned out to be a bottle of Mountain Dew.

They pile out of the car and order him to stop. He, seeing three people in plainclothes, does what I think any reasonable person would do and takes off running. They chase him down and beat him up while arresting him for aggravated assault, resisting arrest and escape.

So how is the average person supposed to tell the difference between actual plainclothes police and would-be kidnappers/robbers/etc. who start shouting "Police!"? Sucks that people impersonate police, sure, but it happens.

The teen in question, by the way, is an honor student and viola player.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And of course race had nothing to do with it.

With any luck there will be one giant lawsuit

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it's about time someone did something about those damn viola players

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a very hard time saying someone who runs from police is in the right.

I also have a problem with police just stopping someone walking down the street when they are not in uniform or easily identifiable.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And in my book, simply yelling 'Police!' isn't enough. I understand the benefits of plainclothes police work, but if your tactics have people fearing for their safety, then you need different tactics.

6. 93Devil

Usually the plainclothes guys look pretty rough.

Could a kid just ask them if he can, or if they can, call 911 to verify they are who they say they are?

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Police in Pittsburgh don't know the difference between weapons and Mountain Dew?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sure, "Could you stop beating the shit out of me so I can make sure you really are a cop?"

9. 93Devil

I'm guessing the beating was the result of the chasing.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This guy sees no problem with it:

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Three cops who should be fired on the spot.
    Police brutality at its worst.

12. 93Devil

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_663712.html

A beating like that is never justified.

But running from the police never makes a situation better.

Draft saved Draft deleted