1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should this reporter have been arrested?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 29, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Security is just that, security. They do not have the power to arrest or detain ANY individual.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I imagine they can detain people. My first university had security who detained and then called the real police for the arrest.

3. boots

boots New Member

I will say this once more and very slowly. A security officer is not a law enforcement officer. He or she DOES NOT have the power to detain or arrest anyone. Any security officer who does that is also subject to arrest.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Then tell me why the story specifically said security and that they had to wait for police to come arrest her?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you tip off the police? You're about to break the law, regardless of motive. Would you expect them to say 'hey, good luck, let us know if you get busted!'?

6. boots

boots New Member

I know what the story said. I'm telling you what is the law. No security guard, unless he is a recognized agent of law enforcement, can legally detain or arrest someone.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Some are, boots. Security agents can go through the same law enforcement training as others. That's why some security guards carry guns and others don't. ::)

8. boots

boots New Member

That's not totally correct. They go through law enforcement training but ARE NOT law enforcement officers. I know. I've done it. Carrying a gun and protecting a store does not give you law enforcement power.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm, yes she should have been arrested and you are both right and wrong.
    At some hospitals, like medical schools, the security guards are actually sworn law enforcement and function as a police department, at other places they are armed security guards with no arrest powers and at other places they are unarmed security guards.

10. boots

boots New Member

Yes you are correct. But in many instances, they don't have arrest powers. The only person that can arrest you is a duly appointed law enforcement agent.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

But can they detain you until the police come so you can be arrested?

For example, Boots, if I were to rip off a Wal-Mart and they catch me, don't they have the right to hold me until the police come?

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yes, they do markvid. That's all I was trying to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted