1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should this be in the sports section?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jan 11, 2008.

Did the following story belong in the sports section?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
  2. No

20 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
  1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Had to look twice when I saw I clicked on the sports link of the KC Star. What do you think?
  2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If your paper has an outdoors section, which I'm not sure if KC has, than it belongs in sports. If not, I'd give it to news.
  3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, I hope this isn't a threadjack, but we had a discussion about whether Hillary belonged on a sports site yesterday. I ultimately voted no, that he didn't belong there any more than Neil Armstrong. Not to diminish his accomplishments in the least; it's just not sports.
  4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

And didya notice the link number on The Star's Web link? (No, not the 439769 -- the other one).
  5. moonlight

moonlight Member

I vote yes.

It sounds like a reporter was sent to a sports show and this is what he came back with. And if you're an outdoorsman/woman, you probably have an opinion on whether bigfoot exists or not.
  6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've gone to sporting events and come across a newsworthy item, but the story still ran in news. As it should.
  8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It was only after Tenzing Norgay's death did Edmund Hillary say he was the first to crest Everest. Hillary was more like Buzz Aldrin than Neil Armstrong.
  11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it belongs on the front page. Below "Bat Boy Lives!" and above "Dingoes Ate My Baby!" The truth is out there.
  12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm saying the outdoors section is a part of the overall sports section. So if you've got the that outdoors, it'll fall into sports. Otherwise, put it in news. No way does it in the regular sports section, though.
Draft saved Draft deleted