1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Sebastien de la Cruz flap have been a story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The short of it:

Mexican-American child sings the national anthem at the NBA Finals.

Predictably, idiots on the Internet make racist jokes to get a rise out of people.

Predictably - also - it works. People rise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22406385/popovich-calls-out-idiots-who-tweeted-about-national-anthem-singer

I know I beat this drum a lot, but is it really news worthy at this point when a few jokesters on Twitter or Reddit or in the comments section of a newspaper Web site try to out-do each other? Should it have even been covered or acknowledged?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No. When someone tweets "OMG a beaner is singing the anthem!" there is no need to pretend it is somehow "People taking to twitter to question the 11 year old's dress." It is racist trolls being racist trolls.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's a story in San Antonio. It was the San Antonio reporter who asked Popovich about it during the pregame presser.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, it's a story now that Popovich has sounded off.

My question, I think, is a little bit like your thoughts on asking athletes about gay marriage. Why ask Popovich what he thinks about some online trolls to begin with? Why give them this amount of credence?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The bigger story was that Popovich was asked a question and he gave a thoughtful answer rather than a snide, one or two word response.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pop isn't dumb. He knows his fan base.

Draft saved Draft deleted