1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the President of the United States have a Swiss bank account?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu -- my post was just after yours so I didn't see this, but see above. While there are laws theoretically preventing the practice, there are also powerful forces at work making sure those laws are never applied.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Whatever the merits of having a Swiss bank account, the point is this: merely his having one (or having had one) is part of a longer-term strategy to paint Romney as an out-of-touch elitist. That's generally been a Republican strategy, but now Obama is turning it around.

I can't say I'm thrilled that everybody points to code words and presumably fringe issues to try to rile up voters, but until voters start getting riled up by something else, that's what campaigns are going to look like.

4. LongTimeListener

Yeah, the group that turned shopping at Whole Foods into a sign that Obama was a leftist hippie straight off Jerry Garcia's farm is not going to have a lot of room to maneuver on this one.

Again ... ARUGULA!

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Honestly, LTL ...

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is bs too. Or, do you think anyone who buys an imported car is weakening the homeland's economy.

The argument I used to hear in favor of buying imported cars was that Detroit was producing shit, and the competition from imports forced them to improve their products.

America is forced to compete when capital moves freely, seeking the best return.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney 2012: Because ₣ > $

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Romney 2012 ... In Your Heart You Know He'd Be Better At Handling Your Money

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney 2012: The Fox and The Hedge Fund

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the issue here.

Romney is running for the party that supports and espouses the idea that everyone in America should act in their own self-interests where the law allows, and that doing so creates a collective pull forward for the country that is more powerful than trying to dictate everyone's individual actions.

Having an SBA and acting legally to keep his taxes low would seem to be well within that stance. It's not hypocritical, so I guess all that's left is the hope that this carries some sort of emotional resonance.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. LongTimeListener

I agree with this. Not hypocritical. But I think it will have that resonance.

It will also nicely negate any attempt to paint Buffett as a tax-dodger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.