1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the President of the United States have a Swiss bank account?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The guy sitting in the White House doesn't think so.

He also thinks the voters in Ohio will agree with him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/obama-campaign-romney-swiss-bank-account_n_1467021.html

What about you? Do you think it's unpatriotic to store millions of your hard earned money in locations that are often used by others to dodge taxes?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

On the list of things I give a shit about when deciding for whom I'm going to vote, this is near the bottom.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It actually shows good judgment.

The way we have been shitting all over the U.S. dollar with destructive monetary policy, and a bloated Fed balance sheet of $3 trillion worth of U.S. treasuries and toxic assets, if I had to keep my assets in one currency rather than in hard assets (which is the smart thing to do), I'd strongly consider the Swiss Franc. It's the safest, safe haven currency -- as long as the SNB doesn't intervene, which it will do (which is why I wouldn't make a perma Swiss Franc/U.S. dollar play). The U.S. dollar is complete shit and is going to get shittier as people wake up to the mess we have created and keep digging ourselves deeper into. Your money is worth more just by having it in Switzerland rather than in the U.S.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was going to hide my money overseas once, but come to find out you can't open a Swiss account with $33.47.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney 2012: A Real American for the Real America

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why does the President need a bank account at all? Ever seen one reach for his wallet?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was coming out that Obama has a Swiss bank account. My reaction to that idea was the same as the reality that Romney has one:

No, the President should not keep his money offshore or in Swiss bank accounts.

Mitt Romney, however, is not President, so he can do as he damn well pleases with his money.

And, as Sonner says, of the reasons to vote for or against someone, it is pretty far down the list.

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

SWIFT BOAT
    SWISS BANK

Democrats starting to play like Republicans.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Obama does...and pays cash.

http://topnews.in/usa/obama-buys-his-chinese-lunch-restaurant-215869

...or, sometimes, credit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Should the President have made most of his money from an autobiography that Oprah was plugging before he had really accomplished anything?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thread is mis-titled ... a more accurate title would be "Yet Another Reason Why I Think This Man Shouldn't Be President" ...

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Yes, he should be allowed to with no recourse. That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.