1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should The NFL Suspend Marvin Lewis Or Just Fine Him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lewis on a call in radio program made fun of Johnny Manziel's
    height in a fashion that likely insulted many.

"You've got to go defend the offense," Lewis said. "You don't defend the player."

After a short pause, Lewis then added: "Particularly a midget."

Really just shocking that Lewis would not be more socially aware.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's sad that your taxes don't cover any medical. No medical. I think doctors make too much money, you know why? Because they don't cure anything. Everything they cured, they cured 50 years ago. They ain't cured anything in a long time, man, you know, diseases are piling up, man, we've cancer, sicacell, and Geri's Kids still limping around. Come on, Man, get rid of something. Some diseases, they just gave up on. They said: "To hell with it!" Like blindness. You go blind, they don't got nothing for you. You go to a doctor, tell him you're blind, he says, "Hey why don't you get this dog to drag your blind ass around." Where's the medicine? Where's the science? I'm blind! I can't see! There's people that can see that can't handle a dog! Come on, give me a midget or something! -- Chris Rock

3. Boom_70

But Chris Rock makes his living as a comedian. Marvin Lewis makes his
    living as a leader of men. Lewis comment crossed the line and
    was in very poor taste.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Chris Rock doesn't work for Roger Goodell, leader of social responsibility.

I just read a tweet that Goodell plans to hire two Little People as Senior VPs who will "help lead and shape the NFL's policies and programs relating to the vertically challenged."

5. Boom_70

I heard that Goodell is also asking Mike Lupica to be part of group
    as outside consultant.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, Lupica is one of the Little People who will be named Senior VP. The other is Mitch Albom.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, that's vertically challenged to you, pal!

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

In full disclosure, I am a Bengals fan. That out of the way, Midget is not a PC term (I hate PC, but that's a battle almost for another day from what I can tell from previous comments).

Marvin was HALF-right about Manziel because Manziel from the time he came upon the world's sports stage has come across like a mental midget,....an arrogant mental midget.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, don't steal my line!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm also a Bengals fan and more offended that Marvin in his statement today apologized to the entire Cleveland community. Sam Wyche weeps.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is tame as comedians go and comparing the standard for comments by a head coach to comments by a comedian is terrible as arguments go.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It was a dumb thing to say, but it was a joke. You certainly shouldn't suspend someone who makes a bad joke, then immediately apologizes because he didn't realize what he said would be considered so offensive. People make mistakes. If you want to give him a little fine, I'm OK with that, but a suspension is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted