1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should "the media" defend itself if it is attacked by newsmakers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Sep 4, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We should always defend ourselves – unless our conduct is, indeed, indefensible.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If more of this "citizen journalism" shit keeps growing and Billy CrazySports gains more of a foothold, in five years you may see him doing the opening instead of Williams.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

These days, the numbers are pretty small.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Infinitesimal

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

It would be difficult to defend Olberman after this past week.

6. He actually really behaved himself during the RNC.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I dont get MSNBC up here, but I read he didn't go to the RNC because he was worried about being assassinated.

I wish I was joking about that.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Its because Olberman talks out of his ass with half-truths and one-sided ideology. He's like Fox News for the Dems. He should have stuck to sports. That's all for my thread-jack.

9. captzulu

captzulu Member

The media should definitely defend themselves against attacks, and they don't do enough of that right now. It isn't about distinguishing "legitimate" media from amateurs, it's about maintaining the right relationship between journalists and the public -- one where journalists are informing the public (a good, cooperative relationship) rather than manipulating the public as they are accused of (an adversarial relationship). The more attacks that go unanswered, the more adversarial the relationship between journalists and the people they serve becomes.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Remember, we always bat last.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, I think the historians bat clean-up ...

12. Problem is, certain power brokers have figured out that if you scream loud enough about bias or perceived unfair coverage, the media tends to instinctively back down. The Republicans have turned this tactic into an art form and the Dems have done it too. We as journalists collectively need to stiffen our spines and learn not to back off a story simply because someone cries "bias."

Draft saved Draft deleted