1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the final baseball season standings reflect tonight's 163rd game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Oct 6, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What say you?

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Yes. It's a regular-season American League game.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have no clue. But I did notice on the ticker that home runs from tonight apparently count towards season stats. I'd take whatever agate AP sends and not reinvent the wheel on deadline.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What do you mean, should they? They do. That's a regular-season game.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was vamping to see if the AP moved them, as they didn't until after the game box moved, which struck me as odd.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a regular season game. It counts in the standings. The stats count.
    Geez, after three straight years of this you'd think we'd have it figured out by now.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

My take on this---Henry wasn't asking the question as if he didn't know. I took it as an opinion poll.

My opinion---it should not count in the standings or in stats. It shouldn't be considered a regular-season game or a playoff game, just this independent event in between. A terrific event at that, in this case.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

These types of games have counted in the regular season since at least 1908. Ain't no reason to change now.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

I thought Henry asked that per a discussion topic too, as opposed to saying it was right or wrong.

The facts are the facts: It's not a postseason game -- it's a game that determines which team plays in the postseason and which one goes home.

That makes it a regular-season game, baby.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wish Sosa had homered in that Cubs tiebreaker game in 1998 so he could get THREE asterisks.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You mean Sammy Steroid only has two?

Draft saved Draft deleted