1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Colts trade the No. 1 pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Jacksonville, yes, is a possibility. Good thought. But I still think teams have a hard time making some kid the future franchise one year, and then looking to make some other kid the future franchise the next year. It's kind of like saying to your fan base, "Well, we sure fucked up the last draft, huh? Here we go again ..."

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And all of Indianapolis will descend on the front office with pitchforks and torches.

As a Colts fan, I get that some people think Peyton needs to be dealt. I certainly don't think that. Not when your options are the Jets... could you imagine the media (Hey, Peyton's on the Jets and Eli's on the Giants!!) and the fervor? Not to mention I can't see Peyton being that type of guy to play in the hot spotlight of the No. 1 market. The Redskins, no way... the owner's such an asshole that he'd find a way to F this up before the season was out (see McNabb, Donovan)

The ideal situation, much as it might cost the Colts short-term, is to leave Peyton in Indy and have him teach Luck about the NFL and what to expect. Brett Favre may have overstayed his welcome big time in the pros, but he did teach Aaron Rodgers a thing or two about pro football.

Just my two cents.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We need to stop talking about a trade, it cannot happen.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh hells no. Reid has a whole boatload of issues of his own he needs to take care of first.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It can, but it won't.

Manning would have to restructure and why would he do that? One would assume that he would want to be cut loose to go whereever he wants, rather than make whatever team he's going to give up players/picks to get him.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

1. I think Peyton has played his last game.
    2. I think the Colts draft Luck.
    3. The real battle will be for Barkley.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This fantasy really needs to be staked to death like a evil vampire.

Joe Montana didn't teach Steve Young anything. Brett Favre didn't teach Aaron Rodgers anything.

That's a Kumbaya-around-the-fire, vanilla-flavored bedtime story.

Farve openly loathed Rodgers. Montana and Young weren't even on speaking terms. No one teaches someone how to take their job someday.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, Favre and Rodgers had (have) a horrible relationship. Favre was hardly a mentor to him.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

See, I don't believe that Colts fans will go nuts if Manning is cut. Because if Manning is cut, it's because he can't throw. This isn't like some out-of-the-blue, Belichick-cutting-Bernie-Kosar thing. Colts fans have had a long, long, long, long season to think about the possibility.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

THE 'MENTORING' SHIT NEVER WORKS.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mentoring works, but when you're dealing with guys like Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer, not superstars who are expected to play with the guy who will eventually take their job.

I don't think Montana and Young ever became friends and Rodgers didn't learn shit from Favre.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase... doesn't mean Rodgers didn't LEARN a thing or two from him. (Edit: Yes, Mizzou, I just saw your post above mine and I'll still say it. lol)

Draft saved Draft deleted