1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Colts trade the No. 1 pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. He was going to an established playoff team and was going to learn for a couple of years and soak it all in. It is in fact the total polar opposite of what experts are saying about Luck.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that I would go as far as to say they're tanking, but this team was so ill-equipped for anyone else to play QB that there wasn't really anything it could do. That reflects positively on Manning and negatively on Caldwell/Polian.

Maybe if the lockout hadn't happened, they would have had a better idea that Manning might miss time and they could have brought someone in and prepared them to play QB.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I follow the San Antonio Spurs "Suck for Dunc" playbook. Four rings do not lie.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love all this "once a generation" or "once a decade" talk about Luck.

Does anyone here really think he will be a better QB than Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning or Roethlisberger? Is anyone taking the over on that?

5. Mizzougrad96

Rodgers wasn't as raw as people like to make him out to be, but he knew when he arrived in Green Bay that he would probably be Favre's backup for at least two years, and it wound up being three.

6. LongTimeListener

He could fit into that group. I don't know that anyone will ever be better than Brady in '07 or Rodgers in '11. But the value of a star quarterback is so great, the single most influential building block in all of sports, that you just have to go for one when you can.

7. Mizzougrad96

The "once in a decade" or "best since Manning or Elway" refers to his status as a NFL prospect, not as a NFL QB.

Brady was a shitty NFL prospect. Brees was too small. Teams didn't like how Rodgers held the ball and that he had learned from Tedford.

Saying he's the best prospect since Manning or Elway is just that, it doesn't mean he'll be as good as them.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I may get laughed out of the room for saying this, but I think the Chiefs with Manning and a healthy Charles could be pretty strong. Seattle comes to mind as well, and maybe Arizona.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And what makes you think Polian will be willing to hire a big name coach and sacrifice his authority? If Polian were willing to do such a thing, he wouldn't have hired either Tony Dungy or Jim Caldwell as head coach.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can the Colts trade the Polians?

11. LongTimeListener

It is very interesting to me that the $28 million option bonus came about because Manning agreed to it in exchange for not having to take a physical before signing the contract last year. That tells me he knew he was messed up.

I don't see how anyone can think there's a trade market for that.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Arizona and KC both struck me as possible landing spots for Manning as well, but I don't know if he has any say in where he goes if traded. If he does, I'm guessing he'd rather go someplace like Miami or SF (if they have interest in acquiring him) because they seem to have better weapons already in place.

Draft saved Draft deleted