1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Colts trade the No. 1 pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This team's problems seem to go far deeper than just that position. And although I think Luck is a good quarterback, I'm not sure he's a once-in-a-generation guy. He could easily turn out to be Alex Smith or David Carr.

Should Indy trade the pick to begin stockpiling talent? I think I would.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, they should trade the No. 1 pick ... of the 1998 draft.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would think that the No. 1 pick would be worth far more in trade value than a 35-year-old quarterback with health problems.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think they should draft Ryan Leaf because he has far more physical talent and upside than Peyton Manning. Sincerely, So-Called draft experts who swore Leaf would be the better pro quarterback of the two

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are so talent-poor right now I would trade it.

Even if it only means dropping a few spots and drafting Barkley, the picks they would receive should help to bolster the roster.

But then again, I don't think Luck walks on water.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any team is insane for giving more than one first for Manning. And even that is insane.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The first pick is worth much more than Manning.

And I wouldn't make any decision until I know if Manning can turn his head.

I would very likely draft Luck.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Would the 49ers consider trading for Manning? If they can go 10-3 with Alex Smith, wouldn't Manning make them a legitimate Super Bowl contender?

Hell, the Dolphins have a strong defense and some weapons on offense that Manning could make look very good.

If you're a team like that, with a playoff-caliber defense and some playmakers on offense, isn't acquiring Manning for a shot at a Super Bowl win during, say, a four-year window worth it?

9. Draft Luck. The Colts are not as talent-poor as their record would suggest. Luck may not be a once-in-a-generation QB, but he's very likely a once-in-a-decade find. You can't compete in the NFL with mediocre quarterbacks. Unless you're satisfied to go 8-8, 9-7 and sweat out the wild card ever year.

With Manning, the Colts would win that division. It's that simple. The Colts' biggest need is quarterback.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they are convinced that Manning is 100 percent healthy by the time his $28 mil bonus is due, it might be something they look at. I don't know if that's realistic though...

If I'm Luck, I come out right now and say, "That's Peyton's team and he should be the Colts QB until the day he decides to retire."

Going to the Colts is just about the worst situation Luck can be in.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Manning will be cut.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I understand the argument, but there are a few differences between the two. Leaf came out early. Leaf came out of almost nowhere to join the Heisman chase with one incredible season. Leaf was also at a party school that doesn't exactly have a long storied tradition of preparing players for the NFL.

Luck from what I have seen has dealt with the Heisman pressure publicly without incident for close to two full years in a much different media landscape than 1998, including being looked at as THE guy for most of this season in one of the nation's largest markets and on a Top 10 team. He decided to go BACK to complete his senior year at an academic first school that has a much stronger history in preparing players for the next level, including being coached for three years by Harbaugh. Do I think he is the next Manning? who really knows. My best guess is he pans out somewhere closer to a Matt Ryan. The biggest thing is, he at least appears from a far to be much better prepared from a maturity standpoint than Leaf was.

Would I trade the pick? hells no. Is he a once in a generation QB? probably not, but he is likely going to be a damn good QB for a long time. The most important position to fill on the field is the QB. The Colts will have several more decent picks over the next couple of years to fill out the rest of the lineup. They'll probably get, I'm guessing, a third round pick pick for Manning. Hell maybe they could even induce the Bears into giving up another first round pick for him. But I would rather take my chances with a high end QB prospect for the long haul than a 35-year-old QB (will be 36 at kickoff next year) who has mounting neck injuries and hasn't thrown a pass in a game for a full season behind a very questionable offensive line. Maybe hang on to him for a season to prove he can still play and let him mentor his successor. But to me it's not even a choice, just a matter of when.

I say all this and Luck could very well turn into the next Jeff George or Rick Mirer. But from a business standpoint and a football standpoint you have to move on at this point. It will suck to be Indy waiving goodbye to the greatest player to ever put on a Colts uniform, especially since they move, but that's football in 2011. Hell it was football even in the 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted