1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the 9/11 anniversary still be on the front page?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Sep 11, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

What Frank said, as usual.

If all you can come up with to put on the cover is "Local firefighters remember 9/11," unless you're in New York, don't bother. But, by God, come up with something better. Because 9/11 and, more so now our response to it, still have a huge daily impact on life in this country. So put that story on the front. And when it no longer has that huge impact, then you can start to treat it like Pearl Harbor Day or the sinking of the Maine. But not yet.

2. oldhack

oldhack Member

The people most deeply affected by 9/11 were those who experienced it close up. If you were in Manhattan that day, or near the Pentagon, it will always be a defining moment. As you get further away, the reaction, if there is one, is more of expected patriotism than a viseral, "Those bastards wanted to kill me." People who live on the west coast just don't feel the same way about 9/11 that people on the east coast do.

Does it still belong in the paper every year? I think so (though Newsday's unfortunate cover yesterday shows how difficult maintaining the impact will continue to be). Try leaving out a Pearl Harbor story on Dec 7 and see what happens to your phone system.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our paper's banner hed day of 9/11: "Remembering 9/11"

Our paper's banner hed day of 9/12: "9/11 Remembered"

No lie, that's what it was for the last 4-5 years.

(Never mind that our 60-year-old front page copy editor was our 60-year-old EE's college roommate and is untouchable.)

This year, it was still above the fold but in non-bold, 36-point.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Absolutely.

It's news.

People will be talking about it.

In most cities and towns there are events.

I would think a paper would get hammered if it didn't have stories on the front Sept. 11 and probably Sept. 12.

People still call and complain if there's no Pearl Harbor Day story.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

was in dallas when it happened, in dallas today and didn't and doesn't diminish my feelings at all.

awfully broad generalization there, dont' ya think?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not to sound like a neo-con.

But we are still at war because of this attack.

So, yes, it belongs on the front.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It belongs on the front.

Though I did cry a little less this year, and that scares me.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'd be willing to bet that the Los Angeles Kings organization could have done without losing two of its scouts who were flying back to L.A. out of Boston to start training camp because they were on the first plane that crashed into the WTC.

Draft saved Draft deleted