1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Peter King Resign From Football Night In America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Should Peter King Resign From Football Night In America?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If King has any chance of restoring his credibility as a journalist he
    needs to start decoupling himself from his conflict of interest positions outside
    of his primary job as lead NFL writer for Sports Illustrated.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes.

As soon as Verducci resigns from MLB.com.

As a compromise, I'd like to see SI disclose their relationships with the leagues they cover. Just once.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What is his conflict of interest?

4. Dick Whitman

NBC is a financial partner of the NFL.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Boom is trolling, but I know Dick is serious ... and as much as I agree in theory, this is a fairy-tale discussion. We are living in an era where our two biggest sports entities have their own networks, and the public treats the reporters on those networks as independent and trustworthy voices.

Horse, barn, etc.

6. Dick Whitman

Yesterday, four hours after TMZ posted the video, NFL.com did not have a mention on its site about the Rice story.

I understand your point, but I'm going to stick to this position until they put me in the ground.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.si.com/nfl/2009/08/10/schefter

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It buys the rights to broadcast games from the NFL. Same way that ESPN does with sports leagues. That bridge was crossed a long, long, long time ago.

It's a relatively weak link, if the idea is that it somehow compromises King's ability to report on the NFL in an unbiased way.

In your other example of Verducci (or Heyman), mlb.com / mlb network is OWNED by mlb. I agree with you. THAT seems like a conflict of interest.

The Boston Globe and the Boston Red Sox are owned by the same person. Newsday shares an owner with the Knicks and Rangers. Those seem like conflicts of interest.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He should resign from NBC when Clayton, Schefter, Mort, and the 32 beat writers across the country do the same because of the conflict of interest for working for ESPN since ESPN airs games. The NBA and MLB writers need to resign for the same reason.

Also, any beat writers who cover teams where their paper is a corporate partner or part-owner, they need to quit too. If you work in a college town and the school advertises in the paper or the paper sponsors anything the school does, quit now.

Anyone left?

10. Dick Whitman

I think that the ESPN case is different because those guys actually work for ESPN. I don't love it, but I see them more comparable to Costas or the Fox.com writers. King is working for an independent entity - Sports Illustrated - and then hooking up financially with the NFL separately, through NBC.

I agree that it's a closer case than the Verducci one. That is inexcusable.

And, yes, when I worked for a college town paper, the relationship between the paper and the university made me very uncomfortable at times.

I've been less uncomfortable working for an alumni magazine - in that case, again, I know who my master is.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The key is really for thinking people to not listen to all the bullshit these guys peddle about how great the league is.

We had a long conversation here about why King would write the glowing profile of Goodell that he did. Now it's clear. They're buddies and business partners.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

King will resign the same day Goodell does.

Draft saved Draft deleted