1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Should obesity be a 'disease"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bring on all the smokers and all of the morbidly obese.

They pay all the taxes for smokes or cut their lives off at 54 because of heart disease, allowing those who can avoid early cancer or getting hit by a bus to pick up those Social Security checks for the last 15 years.

Keep smoking. Keep wolfing down those Nutty Bars.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which is why a big backlash is growing against it.

I have heard people thundering on the radio that obesity and directly-obesity-related diseases should be specifically excluded as grounds for disability (in particular handicap license plates), and subject to massive health care surcharges.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I do, however, think lack of compassion should be considered a disease. It's becoming an epidemic.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where do you see lack of compassion here?

5. exmediahack

Compassion comes at varying levels. I don't have compassion for the child rapist or murderer who wants to be let out of prison for the last six weeks of his life because he has terminal lung cancer.

I have the highest compassion when I come across sick kids, or a parent about to pass from some unexpected and deadly illness in the prime of life, leaving behind small children.

I don't have the same level of compassion for someone who has been smoking for 40 years and has been told he has three months nor for the woman who ate herself up to 400 pounds and dies at 36.

It isn't 1958 anymore. We all know how destructive smoking is. People who fire up that first Camel at 17 should know they could be hooked for life.

We all also should know overeating and obesity is the slow killer.

I'm not rail thin as I have a BMI between 26-27 but all of my levels "check out" as I run lots and stay active. When I'm slacking, it's a simple fix. Get on the scale every day -- face that truth -- and take the appropriate action.

People who are obese can start to reverse it immediately. It takes a long time if you're 400 pounds (just as it did to get to 400 pounds) to shed it but it can be done.

We are a nation that has abundance but not ambition which is a deadly combination. Smokers and the obese in the lower economic classes still have enough financial means where they can avoid that rock bottom moment where they don't see or feel the urgency to live healthier.

Then they surround themselves with other enablers who tell them "beauty is on the inside" instead of "you don't need that chocolate lava volcano from Domino's".

Where I do have acute compassion is when I see obese kids. It's heartbreaking. Dad wears a 44 waist and Mom is a size 24. And they have fat kids. It hurts to see this because I know the kids are probably unable to shake this unless they have the discipline and that they don't see that at home.

It's like giving your children a future of early heart disease, early death, depression, lack of career advancement and being ignored by society.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They CONTRIBUTE to obesity. But their contributions can be mitigated by CHOOSING to eat more healthy and CHOOSING to exercise your butt off and CHOOSING to seek help for depression.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I wouldn't classify obesity as a disease. With that said, when exmediahack noted that it does take time to lose weight, that's what we have to remember. For all you know, the person you see walking down the street who is overweight may just be starting a weight-loss program.

Also, we have to remember that being too thin can be just as unhealthy as being too fat. Monitor your weight, yes, but don't become obsessed with it.

8. exmediahack

One story from 8 years ago...

When I would step off the set after the late news, I would head to the gym near the station. They were usually only open about 30 minutes after I arrived. They'd usually stay open for me for an extra 20 minutes while they vacuumed and cleaned the place.

Often the only other person in the cardio section was this 40ish woman. 400 pounds. Saw her the day after Christmas one year. She was walking - slowly - on a treadmill.

Yet, for the next year, every night I was at the gym, I saw her there. After a few workouts, I talked with her for a few minutes. She said that her doctor said she was on the doorstep of diabetes and had clogged arteries was could have a heart attack at any moment.

So she walked. And walked.

After a year, she was down to, I think, 230. Six months after that, she was under 200 and even running on the treadmill at that point.

It took a long time for this woman to become healthy. I haven't lived in that town for years and sometimes wonder if she was able to maintain. It was damn inspirational to watch. I run for vanity. She walked and ran for survival.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love that story. That kind of get-in-shape program has to be a ton harder when you are starting out where she was. You don't see overnight results. And I can't imagine what she felt like physically at the time, how addicted to foods she was, etc. Breaking whatever cycle she was in food and lack-of-exercise-wise had to have taken a lot of strength -- just to even break the inertia.

You said you run for vanity. I think a lot of people who exercise a lot think they do it for one reason or another, but don't you ever think about it having a greater effect on your well being? Maybe you think you look better, but don't you also feel better after you have gotten your heart rate up, know you are decreasing your chances of diseases, etc.?

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Diabetics should be hung. All that tapping into the health system.....and ultimately our tax dollars.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just Type 2s.

12. exmediahack

I run a ton. The first mile always stinks. Like starting an old car on a cold day. Yet miles 2-6 are glorious once I break through that wall

For the health benefits, I appreciate that all of the running I do helps, say, when I play basketball against younger guys who played college, I can hang in their game (I can't score at will on them as I never played at that level) and not embarrass myself.

The vanity part comes in when I run in the winter. I love it. Love shooting that glare of, "I'm 40 and running out here in 4 degrees while you're sitting in that car at that stoplight pounding that double cheeseburger".

Draft saved Draft deleted