1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should NBA All-Star Game Bother with New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

link at bottom, but these are strong words ...

NBA All-Star Weekend in Vegas was an unmitigated failure, and any thoughts of taking the extravaganza to New Orleans in 2008 are total lunacy.

Without a full-scale military occupation, New Orleans will not survive All-Star Weekend 2008.

David Stern seriously needs to consider moving the event out of the country for the next couple of years in hopes that young, hip-hop hoodlums would find another event to terrorize. Taking the game to Canada won't do it. The game needs to be moved overseas, someplace where the Bloods and Crips and hookers and hoes can't get to it without a passport and plane ticket.

The NBA's image cannot survive bedlam in the French Quarter. And I'm not sure it can survive the embarrassment of a New Orleans standoff between its fans and the National Guard, either.

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/_a/mayhem-main-event-at-nba-all-star/20070220103009990001

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I didn't think it was a failure, but then again I really didn't pay much attention to the festivities.

What I did notice was that roughly a third of the selections decided they'd rather play blackjack than basketball.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Agreed. Toronto is Canada's biggest city, with a wannabe New York feel to it. Not to mention a lower drinking age, completely nude dancers and a more liberal outlook on pot.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Keep Pacman Jones away from the festivities and it's all good, baby...

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

i thought Montreal was the canadian city with loose morals ... toronto to? was there a few months ago ... enjoyed the city, but didn't hit strip clubs. very clean place.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Montreal is even looser, yes. But I was just pointing out TO because it's the only place that could/would host the NBA all-star game.

I think (and I could be wrong) Toronto is more "violent" than Montreal. Anyone know?

7. i can't believe how this issue is being completely ignored. taking this event to new orleans would be a total disaster. only the local vegas television stations covered this event properly. vegas citizens are absolutely irate about what happened to their city.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

New Orleans is used to having National Guardsmen with M-16s in the street. It might be the only place the NBA All-Star game could take place.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

They could take it to Iraq. Then the "hoodlums" could be part of the military surge.

Two birds. One stone.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the players truely want to keep it real, they should play in Camden, NJ or Baltimore Md or Hampton Roads, Va.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Uh, Mardi Gras just ended in N.O. with 10x the contingent that would befall the city with an NBA All-Star Game, and the city survived. Minus the Cat 3 winds, mind you.

Come correct, whit = insignificant bit.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think his point is why inflict a man-made disaster (the All-Star Weekend) on a city trying to recover from a natural disaster (Katrina).

The real issue is why should the NBA host the game there when it will be gone from NOLA within a couple years anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted