1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should my white self apply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 3, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lilly white, but a she. Kinda makes a difference, though that part is a lot more pronounced on sports jobs.

I wonder how long it takes for this thread to turn ugly.

2. Ned Flanders

Ned Flanders New Member

Heaven knows there's such a shortage of white guys in sports journalism. I think it's down to 98.7 percent.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, so that means every other white guy looking for a job has to take a back seat simply because of his colour and gender?

I'll have an Alexander Keith's, newb, and make it quick.

4. Ned Flanders

Ned Flanders New Member

Not at all Double J. It just means some folks realize there's not only an old boy network in this business (just like in almost every other business), but a tendency by middle-aged white guy sports editors to hire folks that look like themselves. But the numbers show not many white guys are taking a back seat anywhere. The last APSE convention I was at looked whiter than a snowstorm in Siberia.

And the bartender is over by the bar. Get your own drink.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh-oh. Not the best way to announce your arrival in SportsJournalists.com land, Ned.

Since you're new and apparently didn't lurk very long before you registered, I'll cut you some slack. But around these parts, stranger, those with fewer than 500 posts (newbies) buy the drinks (usually beer) for those with more than 500 posts (junior and full members).

I didn't start the tradition, but as a newbie I lived up to it and I'll be damned if it'll end on my watch. Now, fetch!

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

In which case, we're moving away from the point of the thread. I'm not asian, but I attend the asian journalism events. It's simply another form of networking. At least that's how I view it.

7. Milo Bryant

Milo Bryant New Member

Goo job? Sounds kinky. Is that how the females get their spots in Institute?
    [/quote]

That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this board. And the simplistic thought process behind your statement is one of the reasons SJI was/is needed.

Learn something about SJI before spouting off idiotic nonsense and inaccuracies about the program.

As for you college journalists, just apply, and see what happens.

I didn't know how many black folks were in the Pulliam Journalism Fellowship program before I applied. More importantly, I didn't care. I thought it was a good program, and I wanted to get in it. So, I applied. The same was true when I applied for a television internship. I thought the program was good and would enhance my chances at getting a job after graduation. Again, I applied.

---

If you want to know something about SJI, talk with a few folks who were in the program. The worst thing you can do is get your information from anonymous people on a message board who are getting second-hand information - from other anonymous people.

MFB

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Milo:

I know you only by reputation -- and yours is excellent, by the way --and while I very much appreciate your insight into the SJI and your advice to those interested, I respectfully suggest you lighten up a little. The ``goo job'' line was just a little off-color humor from someone poking fun at a previous poster's typo.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can we please stop using anonymity as a putdown here? There's a reason -- a valid one -- that SJ prides itself on anonymity. If you want to use your real name, by all means you have that right. But there's a reason that "outing" is Rule No. 1, and I think we ought to keep it that way.

If someone's going to be condescending to those of us who choose to be "anonymous" -- not like enough of you don't know my identity -- then you obviously value what we have to say based only on who you think we are. And that's more of an insult to my intelligence than "anonymous people on an anonymous message board."

Get off that high horse, please.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm pretty sure every SJI class has had white males in it.

Obviously, it's not going to be all white males. But if you think you've got the goods, go for it.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this board. And the simplistic thought process behind your statement is one of the reasons SJI was/is needed.

Learn something about SJI before spouting off idiotic nonsense and inaccuracies about the program.

[/quote]

I never once "spouted off idiotic nonsense and inaccuracies". It was a joke about a typo in another post. JOKE. HA HA. Funny funny. You know, a statement that makes you laugh...aw, forget it. I'm gonna go put some more simple thought into seeing if I can convince Batgirl to give me a goo job.

12. Milo Bryant

Milo Bryant New Member

I see nothing funny about an insinuation that females get into the SJI by granting sexual favors.

Draft saved Draft deleted