1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should my white self apply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are right. I apparently did. Nothing that can't be fixed. Since UT is in your handle and you say "dang" a lot, I surmise you gradudated from Texas.

Take your transcripts to Texas A&M. Have them take a look and see what will transfer. You'll probably equate to a sophomore there. So you get a do-over. Maybe go into petroleum engineering or something that pays.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Awww, Ace.

I'm an Okie. Never forget that.

I just happen to be one who's in grad school at Texas right now. And I say dang in an effort not to be obscene for no good reason.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you are in grad school, I would try real hard to get the best internships you can. Those can lead to goo jobs right away or when you finish grad school.

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Down at UA, they have some minority workshop deal. I wish I was a minority. They practically place those kids in top jobs, but the other lily-white people like me had to find our own work at the bottom of the ladder. Do I deserve the jobs they got? No. As a grad, I wasn't qualified. But neither were the people who got the jobs.

So, my answer is apply, never fill out your race on any application and let them figure that out until they meet you for the interview.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Sorry to continue my prior minor threadjack, but I could use some advice on internships.

I've never done one, don't know where I need to be looking for a high-level one, and would like to find a place I can do some shooting.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I don't think he's interested in a goo job, whatever that is.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Goo job? Sounds kinky. Is that how the females get their spots in Institute?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Heaven forbid anyone should ever try to launch a program for the benefit of white, male and English-speaking journalists only.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

More importantly, SHE's not interested in one.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Goo job, good job, whatever.

Check with your advisor and ask what they know about internships or where you can go for more information. I didn't go to J-school so I don't know how all it works. But press the people in the department.

It's really worth it to make the effort.

And if you want to write and shoot, there may be some websites/papers that want folks who can do photos/video and write stories so that could be a big plus. At most papers you are just one or the other.

Goo luck.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm absolutely amazed the debate has not begun yet on this thread. ;)

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

actually, all races are encouraged to apply. One of my former very lily white co-workers won an award from the local nabj chapter of our city for a story she submitted. i've known Asians who joined NABJ and attended the type of programs described above.
    All it takes is the courage to apply and not make a big deal out of it. You'd be surprised what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted